Diesel Vs Petrol Calculator?

Page 1 / 2
mad_signtist, Oct 14, 8:06pm
Jazz one doesnt work anymore and what I googled is uk and in miles etc Just want a simple calculator.

Cheers

3tomany, Oct 14, 8:30pm
I have tried before with no luck but from what you do I would have thought diesel would be a no brainer.

jason18, Oct 14, 10:13pm
Just have to factor costs of extra money paid for diesel ute/ finance etc

gazzat22, Oct 14, 10:52pm
Apparently some motoring organisations have done surveys and when you factor in increased rego/insurance/maintenance/ RUC etc unless you drive a large truck its cheaper to drive an economical,well tuned petrol car even though diesel is cheaper and more economical when you add all the "extras it isnt.The debate continues!

jason18, Oct 15, 4:31am
Hmmmm Im towing with an Adventra. Using 20lt/100km towing
Cost me 10k

Ute will cost around 20k but im not sure what towing will cost? 2.1t picker

msigg, Oct 15, 4:44am
jason18 you have to want to buy something different, ie the ute, the difference in price to buy the ute will never be covered by supposed savings in fuel, . if you feel like a ute then by a diesel, they are the best for towing. Ute will probably use 11 - 14 ltr towing?

gsimpson, Oct 15, 5:32am
You have to factor everything in. We had diesel and petrol hiaces. The petrol ones worked out cheaper to run thanks to lower maintenance costs but we were doing shorter runs.

2get1, Oct 15, 8:09am
where does everyone get the increased maintenance costs of a diesel idea from ? Ive owned petrol and diesels and do my own maintenance and it does not cost more to maintain a diesel IMO

mad_signtist, Oct 15, 9:01am
Yeah I did wonder that. I do think a ute would be better suited too me. But will have to keep thinking about it. Last bill of 1.3k for 8 days of travel nearly knocked me over haha

3tomany, Oct 15, 9:11am
Sh!t get a ranger the saving on fuel will make the payments a two wheel drive with diff lock will do you fine. Our 2x4 auto is averaging 8.9 ltrs and our 4x4 manual that towes constantly averages 10.5 real world fuel consumption.

jason18, Oct 16, 3:10am
I have done a bit of adding up and came to around 8k saving on diesel (thats not inc servicing but fuel/RUC and rego)

brapbrap8, Oct 16, 4:59am
What sort of mileage did you base that on?
Another saving would be that a "commercial" vehicle like a diesel ute is designed to do big mileage, so if you are doing big miles and like to hold onto vehicles a good ute will last you quite a while.

tweake, Oct 16, 5:34am
trouble is there is a wide range of factors. even the differences in maintenance depends a lot of which particular make/model you get.

it also depends on how long you will even have the vehicle and of course type of usage.

general rule of thumb is for big km's and especial big loads, diesel is better.
but there is risks. to replace common rail diesel injection system can cost the purchase price of a 2nd hand vehicle.
you also have to watch those who have skimped on servicing and sold it just before the big costly servicing comes in.

jason18, Oct 17, 4:28am
Cheers guys, Based on 35km a year. Accountant worked it out as a 12500 saving over 3 years.

Looking at a 2009-2011 BT50

shorebee, Oct 17, 5:54am
that may have 20k service intervals to

3tomany, Oct 17, 6:35am
I would get a new one just sayin you could even lease try fleetpartners they are awesome.

mad_signtist, Oct 17, 5:18pm
I can't bring myself to lease. I like physically owning my cars so I can choose to just run into ground if needed not have to give back etc. I have explored option but again checking with accountant she said it didn't really make sense for my business.

Looked at the new ones too but to expensive at moment

2get1, Oct 17, 7:54pm
why would you have to replace the injection system? Buy either a new ute or one that has a proven service history. Change all the fluids and filters at the specified service intervals and you wont have any costly service bills. Ive owned 3 common rail diesels all second hand, do my own servicing and have never had a problem and believe them to be cheaper to maintaen than a petrol. All vehicles have fuel, air and oil filters. Diesels don't have spark plugs, coil packs etc to replace. All modern vehicles have injectors so if you don't replace fuel filters run the risk of needing injector repair / service. Yes the injector pump on a diesel is expensive to rebuild / replace but regular replacement of the fuel filter prevents damage to the injector pump.

tweake, Oct 17, 10:47pm
you only need to get to much water in them and it will push past the filter and stuff the pump and injectors.
i've known a few where thats happened. i recall one in the newspapers where the water warning never went off.
one i know fortunately was covered by insurance, that had $15k repair bill on a 6 month old ute.

common rail are great when they work but take very little to damage them and when they fail its a very expensive repair bill.

not uncommon to have garages do the regular services, so it looks like its been done, but they didn't bother changing the air filter or fuel filter etc.
so a good service history does not mean its been properly serviced.

intrade, Oct 17, 11:08pm
re 19 the water can come in one hit if you have ethanol phase seperation in the tank from the ulsd problem
ethanol also binds water. to much water and it phase seperates in layers
googe ethanol phase seperation.
diesel gets cross conterminated with ethanol and biocrap has often got ethanol in diesel also
thats is how you never see the warning light because it comes in 1 hit or its sneeking by the filter with the ethanol.
its why you use diesel additive to prevent ulsd problems and ethanol contermination.
in a nut shell "etahnol binds water= it bypasses the filter" to much water and it cant bind the water= phase seperation occure water in layer waiting to be sucked up from the tank" BOOOM it stalls and is nuked.
its more complex then that and there is reasons why courier driver have seemingly no problems and why big trucks seemingly also dont have this problem. that would be typing a whole book here as to why that is , there is logical explenations for it however.

mrcat1, Oct 18, 12:29am
Follow this link and use the Ministry of Transport one which is a spread sheet comparing them both petrol and diesel.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=petrol+versus+diesel+calculator+nz

tweake, Oct 18, 12:35am
it usually comes in one hit because they got a tank load of it from the gas station. often due from tankers not draining out the water when the tanks are welded up. or in some cases leaking or flooded tanks.

petrol fuel additive often as alochol in it which binds with the water and lets it go through filters. on a petrol engine thats not bad because the water is injected. petrol injectors are fairly robust.

diesel on the other hand does not take kindly to water in the injection pumps and injectors. it corrodes them a tiny amount which stuffs them.

the other issue is air being sucked in. a lot of the diesel systems suck fuel up from the tank. if there is a weak point air can be sucked in. a dirty fuel filter creates restriction which increases the vacuum in the pipes which can pull air past a seal.

the other side effect is that the ecu responds and adjusts according to what the injection pump is doing. the injection pump is influenced by the filter restriction and/or air in the fuel.
you can get some weird things happening due to that including over fueling. which is not good for the pistons.

mad_signtist, Oct 18, 6:12am
Bought an 09 ranger. Full history from new ex lease vehicle. What's he additive to use?

mad_signtist, Oct 18, 6:15am
Has just had diesel filters etc done too

stevo2, Oct 18, 7:10am