Battery Charger for a Car that is hardly used

pdh, Jun 7, 9:24am
If I wanted to have a battery charger permanently connected to my car, would this do the trick?
http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/red/catalog/product/Autohaus-Battery-Charger-AHBC-3.8I-Intelligent-Smart-6V%252F12V-3.8amp?SKU=1803208

Car maybe get used once or twice a month but don't want the battery to go flat.
I'm sure someone out there could give me some advice.

Thanks in advance

gsimpson, Jun 7, 9:28am
I use a solar panel on my old tractor that only gets occasional use. $20 from whouse

skull, Jun 7, 9:33am

pdh, Jun 7, 9:40am
Unfortunately car is stored in the garage - no sun

fordcrzy, Jun 7, 9:48am
theyusually have long leads. put it outside

campmother2002, Jun 7, 9:51am
THERE ARE PLENTY TRICKLE CHARGERS AVAILABLE THAT CAN BE LEFT CONNECTED ALL THE TIME, ARE VERY SAFE

pdh, Jun 7, 9:53am
So the one above is OK?

campmother2002, Jun 7, 9:56am
This can be purchased at Jaycar, Tech Central, Repco, Super Cheap. They are small and expensive but do a great job. You need a Power point.
From a Retired Electician

tsjcf, Jun 7, 10:06am

tweake, Jun 7, 11:04am
cteck are good. get a decent sized one. they all drop down to trickle charge after main charging is done.
trickle charger is good but whats better is a charger that turns completely off after trickle charging.

clark20, Jun 7, 9:37pm
Ctek are good, and yes, you want one that switches off

nzjay, Jun 8, 2:38am
Ctec switch the charge off when optimum charge is reached and starts over again when the voltage drops a little. This actually works the battery a little and helps stop sulphation of the plates.
A little dearer, but a very good long term charger. Search online or try Repco.

tamarillo, Jun 8, 4:25am
Says it has a maintenance function so that would work I guess.
I have a trickle on my bike. It has a plug hard wired to battery and I just plug it in and leave it. Very common for bikes and 12 volts so can't see why won't work on car. Mine is an Oxford.

ozz1, Jun 8, 4:39am
just disconnect the battery.

jason_247, Jun 8, 10:58pm
not sure why you would have it on a timer. It is designed to be left on and will go into its maintenance program. just like almost every charger sold today

This means it charges up to full voltage, 13.8-14.2 usually then switches off, it then doesn't do a thing until the voltage drops below a certain level, usually around 12.9v then it charges again. this will wait off regardless of whether it takes 20 mins or 2 years to drop its voltage.

running it on a timer means it likely wont get time to do all the stages to get to a full charge. they can pulse and analyse for 6+ hours.

nzjay, Jul 11, 5:28pm
Oxford is another good one that switches off when fully charged.
Some cheap ones don't, but go into a quite low "maintenance charge" of a few milliamps. Lead acid batteries actually don't like this and it will cause sulphation of the plates over time.