2008 VFR800 Valve Check

mantagsi, Oct 4, 10:58am
Hi folks, I've got a 2008 VFR800 that is nearing the big 25,000kms service, and part of that involves a very very very time consuming (7 - 10hr+) inspection / adjustment of the valves. This is going to cost a fair bit, which is OK, but does anyone know of a genuinely good skilled bike mechanic in the Auckland area (preferrably south of the bridge) who can do a decent job for a decent payment? Cheers! TIA

rim12, Oct 5, 6:38am
I would not think that your valves would need attention. they m ost likley are shim bucket type.I have a corolla with 200kms on it and they have never been adjusted. manual says not to worry about them unless motor starts running rough or lacks power. My 1250 bandit has shim bucket as well and dealer said not to worry about adjustment,cheers

geoff_m, Oct 5, 6:51am
George from Motorcycle Doctors has done good work for me in the past. http://www.motorcycle-doctors.co.nz/
Have a good guy in Pukekohe, but might be a bit far south for, and not the fastest if you need it in a hurry.
Hopefully will be be just a check and ok, otherwise it is a cams out job and the VFRs are tight to work on - hence the cost.
One advantage of older bikes like my old oil cooled GSXR750 I had back in the day - screw and locknut made it a mornings work for a full service.

yz490, Oct 5, 7:16am
http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/12429-skip-valve-clearance-inspetion

Hope this link works to copy & paste. Fell asleep reading it but general consensus was leave it alone & save your money. Must have top quality valves & seats if they do incredible miles or K's & remain in spec. Good old Hondas eh!

tigertim20, Oct 5, 7:52am
most bikes are easy to check, and only reuire hours and hours if an actual adjustment is required.

go guy some feeler gauges and do the check yourself. if everything is in spec, youll save yourself the coin and be worry free

mantagsi, Oct 6, 6:31am
Cheers all :). Looks like there is a pretty solid consensus around these valve checks. Your advice all much appreciated.

mantagsi, Mar 19, 5:13pm
Lucky me - I live there!