Advice re. accident and airbag

jphs, Aug 18, 6:25am
My partner was in an accident today where a 1992 E320 Coupe rear ended a car in traffic. It was a bit of a wallop and caused amongst other things, the passenger's from airbag to deploy.
I have read that replacing and refitting airbags can be very costly.
From your experience, is that correct? The car was collector's mint condition and it is very sad to see it like this.

kazbanz, Aug 18, 6:42am
USUALLY air bag deployment means the car is a wright off.
You can buy a replacement bag but then theres all the other parts as well

sw20, Aug 18, 6:43am
Didn't think those old pieces of tin had a passenger airbag? More than likely a write off.

carclan, Aug 18, 6:48am
I'm not completely sure but you may even need a repair certificate once they have been deployed.

intrade, Aug 18, 6:49am
you can cert it to have no airbags on a 92 normally dont have airbags anyhow if it was a japanese vehicle.
The problem with airbags is they trigger with the crumble zone and in europe no secoundhand airbags are to be sold.
Here in nz i could think you might be able to buy a secoundhand airbag , the sensors would also need to be gotten , quite difficult. So i would probably see to have no airbags cert or something after repair.

jphs, Aug 18, 6:51am
Well it is nice to have your help folks but if you knew the car at all, you would realise that is not a very nice thing to say.
It's a beautiful, pillarless coupe and like new. One of the last, beautifully made E320s before they got cheapened.

sw20, Aug 18, 6:54am
I know what car you are talking about, one of the storemen that worked for me about 10 years ago had a similar car, but his was the 300CE. They are a lovely car, not worth a whole lot though, hence why it will probably be written off. At least no one was injured eh?

jphs, Aug 18, 6:54am
p.s My error as it is a 1995 model not 1992.

jphs, Aug 18, 6:55am
Change that to 1995 model.

jphs, Aug 18, 6:57am
Yes that is by far the most important fact here. It had only done 86,000 km. genuine not faked. It was NZ new and only 2 owners.
Sad ay? but yes, that no one was hurt is the most important thing. He had sunstrike as he turned off a motorway onramp that faces straight into the west. 3 p.m so full on late sun.

phillip.weston, Aug 18, 7:03am
I know the owner has stated it is now a '95 model, but even if it were a '92 it would have drivers and passenger bags as standard. The W124 Merc was one of the first cars to have driver and passenger air bags as early as the late 80s.

phillip.weston, Aug 18, 7:06am
Due to its age insurance will write it off for sure. Even if you do buy it back from the insurance company, it will need to go through a repair cert and a re-vin compliance check as it will be written off. Best way would be to avoid the insurance company writing it off and de-registering it, and finding an experienced panel beater to fix the panel damage and source a replacement air bag - luckily the air bag is removable from the dashboard as a separate unit.

jphs, Aug 18, 8:44am
Well thanks for your thoughts folks, we shall see what the garage says tomorrow.
Reading your comments here though it may well be fond farewell time. But then, someone may buy it as a written off car after seeing what it looks like excluding the front bit.

phillip.weston, Aug 18, 9:47am
have you got any pics of its current condition? maybe that will give us a better idea of if it's salvageable or not. If it's tidy as you say and with those low kms, even if it does cost upwards of $2000-3000 to repair it may still well be worth it.

tamarillo, Aug 19, 12:19am
I'm with Philip, it should be possible to replace the airbag unit and I assume it's same unit that merc used in saloons so parts should be able to be found.
Now if you could swap it over before insurance took it away.
Expect the computer will need reset.
Lovely car, well worth the effort to fix.

elect70, Aug 19, 2:02am
Unusual to have passenger air bag even in a 95 ,I have 96 NZ new E36 M328 coupe & it only has driver\s air bag

jphs, Aug 19, 6:20am
It was taken to the garage and he was told it would almost definitely be written off and auctioned. Partner isn't able or willing to get it refurbed as he was a bit knocked back by the accident. If it is auctioned it will be a good buy for someone who is able to do this sort of thing. . i know if you pop the bonnet the engine looks like a new one???Inside the doors by the mechanisms is like a mirror as the metal hasnt been grimed up or scratched. Seats,boot. all like a new one. And to Elect70. definately the passenger side had an airbag as it was popped out along with the wood grained dash front. Like an old balloon. quite interesting to see in a sad way. But the garage guy said it needs a new dashboard now that happened. Also had the upgraded electrics ?loom (is that the right word) installed some time ago as the factory one apperently had an issue.

tamarillo, Aug 19, 6:59am
I thought the car would only deploy airbag if it detected someone sitting there? Maybe that idea came later.
What a shame.

steve52, Aug 22, 4:20pm
Check out www.airbagsforsale.com. I have imported several sets from these guys in the Uk. They offer a reset service for some of the control boxes.

lookoutas, Sep 13, 1:35am
Don't know if seatbelt pre-tensioners were the go then, but a necessity to check now'a'days if the bags have blown.

Means new belts are required too.