Electric CAR are there trouble free as claimed

Page 1 / 6
intrade, Jul 16, 9:58am
Well if you whatch the video of dr john kelly near the end He mesures a shorted out electric motor on a hybrid, A common problem on high milage cars, He stated. And no he is not a skizo like elon mustard he talks 100% facts i have not seen him say one wrong incorrect fact in any of the videos. Might be why he has a doctor and eleon mustard just skizofrenia as trades.
Tesla drive train last 40,000km before they start failing
The hybrid is not even using the faulty electric motor at all times like tesla.
The tesla is a bearing problem most probably under Engeneered and or more likely No bearing exist for the aplication to last longer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVKuYOA3F2E&t=1120s

nice_lady, Jul 16, 10:42am
Jeez if that's right that's very poor.

poppy62, Jul 16, 10:49am
You and Dr John Kelly are sensationalists! The people who own Teslas (other Evs) are happy with them. Seems like the only ones Anti Evs are the ones who won't and don't own one.

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/high-mileage-0 https://electrek.co/2017/08/30/tesla-model-s-hits-300000-miles-in-just-2-years-saving/

trade4us2, Jul 16, 11:44am
The Milli-Ohm meter looks very useful. I work with very large electric motors, and problems are common.
We just use a bridge to measure very low resistances, but that is much slower.
He omitted to mention that when he picks up the bits of wire, his fingers heat up the wire and that will change the resistance.
It might pay to wait a few years to get more reliable motors in an EV.

lusty9, Jul 16, 11:46am
my brother in oz has a model S - done 72k and drives like day one.

skull, Jul 16, 4:50pm
That's enough with the facts mate, you are detracting from the thread.

intrade, Jul 16, 5:42pm
# 5 not every prius is broken either . whatch the carguru- aka rich rebuild if your intersetd in the truth of tesla. He showd many owner who all had drivetrains replaced all under warranty some up to the 3th drive train makes sense if they got 120,000km then they probably are on the 3th train.
i also think this is probably more a issue on the insane mode model of tesla.
issues with high milage tesla
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8g9p0skYgs
miles not km

sw20, Jul 16, 6:27pm
I might have to buy a Nissan Leaf. Look at how cool this one looks with the wheels and suspension !

https://i.imgur.com/sT2ikuv.jpg

, Jul 16, 6:34pm
They may not be a looker, but no worse than any other Jap hatch and about the most reliable thing you can buy par nothing.
https://www.consumer.org.nz/articles/car-reliability

, Jul 16, 6:39pm
Isn't this about the third time you've posted this exact same video?

Yes Tesla has had some reliability and build quality problems but I don't think you could say this was reflective of electric cars, more an issue for a new startup firm trying to manufacture a completely new product.

As mentioned already, the Nissan Leaf is NZ's most reliable car and it is also electric, there are plenty of very reliable petrol and diesel vehicles, and plenty of very unreliable ones too.

Basically, your argument doesn't really make a lot of sense.

sw20, Jul 16, 6:42pm
I was actually serious. I think with those wheels and lowered suspension it looks really sharp. Would drive again.

, Jul 16, 6:44pm
It actually doesn't look too bad, I have a friend who did something similar although I think the ride is too bumpy now myself. He likes it though which is all that really matters.

harry353, Jul 16, 6:52pm
Don't confuse facts with subjective opinion.

apollo11, Jul 16, 6:57pm
They are putting a heap of power through something not much bigger than a watermelon, no wonder they had issues with some of the early stuff. What kw are they, 300-400kw? Some of the 200kw motors we have used are almost a tonne in weight. At least they have an 8 year, unlimited mileage warranty on that stuff.

lusty9, Jul 16, 8:25pm
and yet AC motors have been around for 100yrs and still rule the roost. Simply putting one in a car doesn't mean it's destined to fail on the pretense it's pumping out 700hp, heck in the states those same motors pump out 3000hp day in day out.

ignition328, Jul 17, 12:31am
Electric motors are MUCH simpler than internal combustion engines. The motor control boards are at times a work of art far as electronics go.

I did dislike them but the more I work with high power compact motor drivers and high efficiency small brushless motors the more I can appreciate a how simple they can be as a system. I'd love to build an electric dirt bike personally given the sealed and robust nature a good motor and driver has alongside the instant torque.

Also, if you're going to insult someone's character at least spell schizophrenia correctly. For that matter put up something more compelling and insightful than someone else's video.

3tomany, Jul 17, 12:41am

bryshaw, Jul 17, 9:47am

apollo11, Jul 17, 9:59am
Interesting reading. It really sounds like there are a number of design and execution issues with Tesla. Plus the difficulty and expense of getting them repaired should be a warning to any potential buyers. Elon Musk should lay off Twitter for a while and get some of these issues sorted.

nzoomed, Jul 17, 10:37am
Yup, Tesla invented the induction motor over 100 years ago, and is as simple as a copper drum with some coils surrounding it.
Very simple motor design and should be reliable.
I see more issues happening with the VFD controller than the actual motor itself.

cassina1, Jul 17, 10:55pm
Componentry in electric cars would be likely to be much lighter and less durable than petrol cars in order to make the distance between charges as long as possible.

apollo11, Jul 17, 11:30pm
Really? I hear that because they have no engine noise, road and wind noise sound proportionately worse. So Teslas have a ton of sound deadening material to compensate. They even have acoustic foam rubber in the tyres to dampen road noise. Apparently it is possible to strip 500kg out of the weight of Model S by stripping the interior and by using composite panels.

mimik3, Jul 18, 12:44am
I love the videos that you post, they basically have no relevance to your statements.
There are many Tesla’s in the states that have surpassed 40,000 miles without any problems. Yes there have been some quality issues, but like all manufacturers these are being addressed.
Your knowledge is limited to what you watch on videos, if I was you I’d quietly go back to watching YouTube on how to repair VW and Dacia Sandero’s and stay away from modern technology.

soundsgood, Jul 18, 2:55am
Five cars in the final Formula-E race had issues, so that proves - absolutely nothing, but that seems to be par for the course in this thread.

History does tend to show that new technologies have teething issues and products tend to get more reliable over time - excepting for the cheap copies, of course.

trade4us2, Jul 18, 10:23am
I'm sure that electric cars will be much better than petrol or diesel cars eventually. There are electric trams up to 100 years old still running every day around the world.
The only problem is that electric cars cost more at the moment and require subsidies of all kinds - the initial cost is subsidised, road user charges are subsidised, in many places the charging power is free.

The fire risk from batteries is a worry. I can't see any improvement happening there.