Car purchase Question - fine print

alibobo, Sep 7, 6:55pm
hey guys,
i was just wondering if its normal practice for a car dealer to have in their 'terms and conditions' that they do not guarantee the odometer of the car, and that i have to disclose this if i ever sell the car. the car has 7000ks and its bought direct from the main dealer in NZ. Im just a bit worried now as they sent through some paper work and the K's listed on paper work are higher than what was on the odometer. Prefer not to mention the make of car in case i need to dispute something after i chat with them tomorrow (they also have some other terms and conditions that i was unaware of when i paid my deposit) which i want clarified.

tgray, Sep 7, 7:54pm
Carjam it and see what comes up.

alibobo, Sep 7, 8:14pm
hasnt been for a recent wof as its 2017 car. just shows its very first wof which is like 25km. was more interested if its a usual thing for dealers to state? thats all. Seems weird that they wouldn't guarantee the mileage.

oliver6, Sep 7, 8:53pm
How could they guarantee the mileage ?

slarty45, Sep 7, 9:25pm
if dealer was honest about discrepancy it would be easy to understand

new instrument cluster?

supernova2, Sep 7, 10:41pm
If the Op is correct in what they are saying it sounds weird.
A main dealer I take to be the franchise dealer for the car brand so a bit unlikely that the T&C will be shady surely?
Likewise how could the T&C change after the payment of the deposit?
It (should) all be covered in the VOSP agreement which the buyer will have seen and signed when paying the deposit.

Have I missed something?

trouser, Sep 8, 7:35am
How many could it have done and is it a big deal.

rpvr, Sep 8, 8:05am
The Consumer Guarantees Act says that cars fir sale by a dealer must have a Consumer Information Notice (CIN). This notice states certain information, and one requirement is to make reference to the odometer (distance travelled) reading, or a statement that the odometer reading is inaccurate. If a distance travelled is stated, then the dealer in effect is guaranteeing that figure. In other words, if the dealer does not guarantee that figure, it must be clearly stated on the CIN, not hidden in the small print.

kazbanz, Sep 30, 1:56pm
Alibobo-My gut feeling is that this is code for. "we know the odometer reading is not correct"
But before committing to this I want to know the EXACT wording and where you are seeing it.
Not being a smart alec--I really do know what I'm talking about in this instance.