Not Motoring but. a plumbing question

Page 1 / 2
yendor, Aug 26, 6:13pm
We have a continuous supply gas hot water heater, it is in the roof cavity and not on the wall outside. Its position is almost above the Shower, My wife complains that when she uses the En suite shower (about 7M away from the heater) and the Daughter is in the main Shower she does not have much hot water. Will a separate Water heater for the En suite fix this or is it something to do with water pressure or some other reason. Thanks.

msigg, Aug 26, 6:26pm
Yes a separate water heater will fix this, otherwise you may need to increase the pipe size to the en suite to get more flow to the en suite. The problem is the water is going to the easiest place first.
So a separate water heater for the En suite is recommended being 7 M away.

intrade, Aug 26, 6:38pm
is that legal to have that in the roof ? i hope you got a cert with that install or your insurance wont pay a cent if it burns down.

supernova2, Aug 26, 6:38pm
Our unit is external but that shouldn't make any difference. Ours copes with taps been turned on etc without upsetting the shower.
Perhaps yours has some sort of restriction or its only a small unit. Get a gas fitter in to have a look.
Those internal units are not cheap items so if you need a 2nd for the other shower might be more cost effective to put a unit on the shower wall.

gpg58, Aug 26, 6:43pm
Is it supplied by a big enough gas bottle to run heater at full flow?
Usually 2 x 45 kg bottles, but if only on a 9kg it could be the issue.

saxman99, Aug 26, 6:47pm
Ours is a small outside unit and you do certainly notice a drop in shower pressure when a tap is turned on, although it does seem to be able to maintain temperature.

You might be able to have a plumber fiddle with the mixer flow controls to even them up a bit, restrict the main and open up the ensuite.

m16d, Aug 26, 7:19pm
Can't see how you could ever be allowed to have a gas hot water system in the roof cavity.

yendor, Aug 26, 7:51pm
It is designed to be in the Ceiling, installed by a gas fitter. Has a flue out the roof tiles and runs on the town gas supply not bottles. What are the units that mount on the Shower wall?

stevo2, Aug 26, 8:40pm
There are exterior wall mounted and in-ceiling infinity units.

supernova2, Aug 26, 8:45pm

supernova2, Aug 26, 8:48pm
A quick look only produced electric units. I wonder if the gas ones have been deleted as they had no flue.

supernova2, Aug 26, 8:51pm
Or reroute the pipe so the ensuite is supplied before the main. Further potential benefit is Daughter will suddenly be taking quick showers!

gpg58, Aug 26, 8:53pm

tim41, Aug 26, 9:32pm
probably because you don't know what your talking about perhaps?
most are getting installed in roof cavities now as so many are being stolen of the outside of buildings,very easy to take them ,
about 4 a week our plumber has been replacing

stevo2, Aug 26, 9:34pm
We built a new house for a client about 18 months ago. It had 2 gas infinities in the ceiling. They are vented through the roof.

elect70, Aug 27, 2:35pm
Especially if using LPG they take the bottles as well . But the origonal question --- perhaps the unit is too small for simultaneous dual output need the 50l / m unit so many people just fit the 30 / Lminute units .

nice_lady, Aug 27, 2:55pm
When I bought our house we had just moved in and I was having my first shower. Hubby was in the kitchen and he turned on the hot tap to the kitchen sink with an evil grin on his face, (according to his daughter), and waited for the scream when I got a suddenly cold shower. Well anyway that's how we discovered we had a small separate hot water cylinder in the kitchen ! Woohooo.

yendor, Aug 27, 6:37pm
The cylinder is a Rinnai Infinity HD200i
Hot water capacity: 2.4 to 32 litres per minute
Nominal water capacity: 26 litres per minute at a 25 °C rise (1560 L/h)
Is this to low a rating for 2 showers?

intrade, Aug 27, 6:47pm
that should be ok but i cant see how it could be legal to be in a roof cavety whhere the insulation fibers could light and start a inferno.

intrade, Aug 27, 6:49pm
The unit you posted should be more then good enough so .
Has this always not worked right?

gpg58, Aug 27, 6:54pm
Change shower head in main shower to a lower water use type, and ensuite to full flow perhaps?

berg, Aug 27, 6:58pm
Expert gas fitter now as well are we?

tweake, Aug 27, 6:58pm
a couple of thoughts,
the shower mixer and head may be different. one may require more pressure than the other. so ok on its own but the pressure drop when the other shower is on is enough to cause issues.

the other thing is check the inlet water connection to the hot water heater. it may have a filter in it which is getting clogged up and restricting flow.

m16d, Aug 28, 8:12am
We had an infinity installed about a year ago. The plumber was very specific on where it could be placed. He never mentioned the roof cavity.

So I dont know what I'm talking about. but there's no need to be smart arse about it.

tim41, Aug 30, 4:38pm
your the one giving the wrong advice on the the subject matey!