Toyota Vitz 2012, Mazda Demio 2011, Honda Fit 2010

stuckonyou, Nov 3, 2:26pm
Here are the cars basic specs:

Toyota Vitz 2012 996cc engine with about 71000km
Mazda Demio 2011 1300cc engine with about 56000km
Honda Fit 2010 1300cc engine with about 63000km

If you had pick between these cars which one would you prefer and if so why? Do any of these cars have any known problems that I need to look out for?

I would like a simple new car that is reliable to get be around town.

Your help is always appreciated!

tgray, Nov 3, 2:52pm
I like the Demio's but they all seem to have noisy hydraulic tappets when cold. Important to put the correct oil in (I believe it to be 10w30) which helps.
People on here will say the 1000cc Vitz is underpowered (and you feel it up a hill on the motorway) but around town they are fine. Unlike other 1000cc cars, at least they are 4 cylinder AND 4 speed auto's (unless CVT), which is a big plus.
Comes down to personal preference. Get in and drive each one and see what you prefer.

intrade, Nov 3, 3:08pm
well You would want to get the one who is correctly serviced. oil change once a year cooland every 24 month brake fluid 18 to 24 month . etc
if you look on cajam you can see the service cost. that is the money you would need to spend. The days are gone of shel be right mate from the 1990s where you change the oil because you think it drives slower then it used to . if a modern car starts doing that it dont needs a service its already nuked then.

kazbanz, Nov 3, 4:34pm
Ok Toyota Vitz--NO. I genuinely do not feel the 1000cc engine has enough power for the body and as a result fuel economy suffers
if 1300 it would be pick of the bunch.
Demio-could be 1 of two models either of them darn good but the skyactive is particularly good for fuel economy. -It would be my pick
Honda Fit. -Pretty darn good car big boot space feels a bit harsh in the suspension IMO
All the above opinions are general to the make/model not specific to a car. I would be getting a comprehensive inspection carried out on the individual vehicle.

thejazzpianoma, Nov 3, 4:35pm
What's the budget, because none of those are particularly startling.

If your budget is around 10k you would be MUCH better with a Fiat Panda. Almost new and next to no km for that money, factory warranty, more reliable, cheaper on gas but more grunt and nicer to drive. Cheaper and easier to maintain.

Just a much better, newer, lower km car all round for your money. Drive one and see what I mean.

msigg, Nov 3, 5:37pm
Well to answer your question the mazda demio is a great little car, bit more power than the vitz, I would have a vitz if it had the bigger motor. All good little reliable cars, will run on the smell of an oily rag. Each to their own. Do some test drives before hand and go from there.

hkjoe, Nov 3, 6:29pm
Any of those cars would be fine for city or suburban driving wouldn't they? There can't be much between them.

thejazzpianoma, Nov 4, 2:26pm
They will all perform the function. However reliability, comfort, running costs, safety etc will vary between them. Assuming average price, none of the three are particularly good from a value for money or total cost of ownership perspective.

Also, the owner mentions some out of town running, there is a considerable difference in that respect. The Vitz in particular in particular is no where near as good in this (and many other respects) as the Fiat Panda I suggested.

djrandomguy, Nov 4, 2:38pm
The Honda fit trumps the others in terms of function with a load space that would make some larger cars blush. Look out for shuddering cvts though. The toyota vitz is a nasty joke of a car, I had two high spec ones brand new for work and both I and my wife HATED every second behind it's nasty plastic wheel.

thejazzpianoma, Nov 4, 2:43pm
I agree, however I find the Honda is not of the usual Honda build quality and design. It's CVT has an appalling reputation for reliability and they are surprisingly poor on the open road (which is unusual for a Honda).

So it's really just a best of a bad bunch situation in my opinion.

None are a match for a Panda on the open road and none come close on total cost of ownership and value for money in my opinion.

gedo1, Nov 4, 4:14pm
There's someone on this thread that no-one is responding to or, indeed, taking any notice of. C'mon, people, he has a point to make. listen up!

gedo1, Nov 4, 4:23pm
Just to help you with your comments, Jazz, there is no mention of "out of town" or "open road" driving - merely "around town". So that will disqualify your inclusion of the claimed superior nature of the Panda for that particular purpose. Any other help I can offer, Jazz, just ask. Always willing to help a good. man? Only saying that because I have never seen any assertion re your gender and have no wish to offend.

thejazzpianoma, Nov 4, 4:29pm
Got confused with the other thread where someone was after a little car for out of town running as well. Not that it matters much. Panda is still better in town as well, economy, power off the line and visibility are superior.

gedo1, Nov 4, 4:37pm
There's a 2014 Panda on Trademe for something less than $9 000 which seems like a goody

slarty45, Nov 4, 4:59pm
Salesman mate tried to sell them for a few years in a large multi brand dealership. The desirable brands kept them in business & Fiats were eventually dropped as there was not much future in them taking up yard/showroom space. No longer available new in NZ for obvious reasons.

kazbanz, Nov 4, 6:03pm
The shuddering CVT thing is the generation 1 (06 and older) newer fits don't have the sameissue -IF they are serviced within a bulls roar (10000km) of manufacturers requirements.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 7, 2:51pm
No offence Kaz, but have you got some evidence of this?

What did they change?

As far as I am aware they all still run the same swra CVT right up until the current 2014 model.

I am just weary as last time you told us that the "tiptronic" version was immune to this fault. Then went very quiet when I said it was more than likely the same transmission just fitted with different software and a switch. It turned out you had just decided this based on a few that you had sold that hadn't broken yet.