Best car polish for new car

Page 1 / 2
db.price, Sep 12, 1:58pm
Will also see the manufacturers recommendations as well but thought I would ask here too.

The car we have bought has a great colour paint but want to ensure that it stays in premium condition for as long as possible.

Tend to polish my cars normally every 3 or 4 months. Every 6 or 8 months is a double polish, standard polish plus a spray on over it.

In between just normal washes every 4 to 6 weeks depending on how dirty.

So what is the best polishes to use and how can I best avoid swirls that tend to develop in the clear coat?

db.price, Sep 12, 2:00pm
Sorry didn't mean to put an angry face there!

slarty45, Sep 12, 2:11pm
don`t wear off the clear coat with excessive polishing, just wash it
keep it in the shade as much as possible if red

db.price, Sep 12, 2:40pm
Is 2 or 3 times a year too much?

Just been my normal habit when it comes to polishing.

Yes it is red!

elect70, Sep 12, 3:01pm
Use a liquid polish , i wouldnt be polishing new car too often , these days it doesnt take much to cut through the clear coat within year or so of polishing every couple months

db.price, Sep 12, 4:04pm
Thanks for that - will definitely keep that one in mind!

slarty45, Sep 12, 4:16pm
I would not apply polish to a new car for many years. They don`t need it.

When I want to wash car I leave it out in a good rain (softens bug splatter)
then wash while still wet with Autohaus wash&wax (thick blue liquid) from warehouse. Warm water in bucket with clean brush. Hose off & walk away

db.price, Sep 12, 4:33pm
What about the spray on types of polish?

Used to love the Selleys Glide on Glaze but cant get that anymore :-(

slarty45, Sep 12, 4:44pm
Dunno, never used it.
Last time I used old style cutting polish was just before trading a red car that had sat outside for 3 years.

db.price, Sep 12, 4:51pm
Would definitely never use a old style cutting one - just a wax/polish.

On our current car use Formula 2000 polish and then normally a form of spray on wax once done. But the colour of our car is one that does not show up any imperfections in the clearcoat - this new one probably may.

slarty45, Sep 12, 4:59pm
It needed cutting. Sun was starting to ruin the red paint. 3.5 years old & never garaged. Looked much better after & off to the dealer to trade in.
Love red cars but other colours handle the sun much better.
Currently going through a white phase.

martinistar, Sep 12, 5:27pm
You Don't polish a new clear coat, just use a good quality wax 2-3 times a year and Don't leave the car in blazing sun all day, try and park it in the shade or keep it under cover.

lespat, Sep 12, 5:32pm
Excuse my ignorance but what is the difference between wax & polish?

db.price, Sep 12, 5:33pm
Unfortunately where it sits in the days (my wife's work) is not under cover and there is no shade. Based on that wax may break down too fast depending on the type/quality?

berg, Sep 12, 5:46pm
https://www.autoglym.com/
This stuff. A professional vintage car restorer put me onto it when I had my blue Commodore ute. Been using it ever since

stevo2, Sep 12, 5:52pm
The "Ice" referred to in post #7 is great.
I use Meguiars Deep Crystal Paint cleaner, then Deep Crystal Polish and then Deep Crystal Carnuba Wax on my weekend car.
The polish brings up the colour and the wax seals it in and gives a deep shine. Polish itself does not protect the paint at all. It just brings out the colour. You need the wax. Some products are polish and wax in one (just like you can buy shampoo and conditioner in one)
Since your car is new, I would just use the Carnuba wax or the Turtle wax ICE.

db.price, Sep 12, 6:00pm
Great thanks for that - will take a look at it

ming24, Sep 12, 6:14pm
Did you get a paint protection add-on when you purchased the car new? If so, then you would need to follow the cleaning instructions as most, if not all, will say not to wax the car or use anything other than a mild detergent for washing

kazbanz, Sep 12, 7:43pm
I'll second this post-I would check very carefully what has been done to the paintwork

stevexc, Sep 12, 8:08pm
If you really want to protect it, try one of these

http://ceramic-pro.co.nz/about/ https://www.unitedcarcare.co.nz/collections/gyeon-quartz/products/gyeon-q2-mohs-30ml-kit

Would need to be polished to perfection first. However once on, it will be much longer before you need to do it again.

Look up some YouTube videos for how to wash a car. There are some nutters out there (who have given me great inspiration!).

intrade, Sep 12, 8:14pm
mothers or mguiars are the 2 best polish.
on our new dacia i used nano coating. i was warned not to use the 2k nano as that forms a layer that you cant paint if you have accident damage. explenation made sense so used the normal stuff who protected for 1 year. redone it after 1,5 year then given the car to my brother who wrote it off in just another accident . aperantly he blamed the sun. umm yea sure .

db.price, Sep 12, 8:44pm
No because that is a rip off !

morrisjvan, Sep 12, 9:18pm
That's fair enough , I have an angry face while polishing my car too!

socram, Sep 13, 8:39pm
My thoughts too - especially on clear coat over metallic. Donkeys years ago when metallics didn't have a clear coat, I used a UK spray on furniture polish - Pledge! Totally non-abrasive.

db.price, Sep 14, 12:20pm
Interesting - surely there would be a requirement/need for some kind of protection?