Advice on choosing a small auto car wanted.

socram, Aug 26, 6:12pm
Having just bought a small manual car, she's now getting increasingly less confident even with the 4WD, and has now lost some strength, so even pulling on and releasing the handbrake is getting to be an issue.

Looks as though we now need an auto shopping trolley, but its not a sector I'm at all familiar with. Budget maybe up to $10,000. Out and out performance and handing isn't at all important, but mainly short trips doesn't do any car much good.

However, I'm somewhat biased towards Euro (I'm biased, no need to try to convince me to change!). That narrows the field a wee bit, but would welcome any make/model suggestions.

saxman99, Aug 26, 6:14pm
BMW 118i

socram, Aug 26, 7:05pm
Yup, that is a real possibility - especially as BMW are building a new showroom/facility on Wairau Rd,, which is convenient.

We already have a Mini Cooper S so had a look at Mini Cooper Automatics. Not that many around though.

VW's are also a possibility so far.

socram, Aug 26, 8:11pm
Also want NZ new - but wife tells me that we can go up in price!

socram, Aug 26, 8:59pm
Goalposts keep changing! Thanks for the above, but I think she now prefers a 4 door.

That Citroen is also an import.

We did look at a Mini Countryman on here, which is a bit bigger than I thought she originally wanted, but looks to be ex Japan with Japanese screen graphics so that is out!

I hate looking for vehicles, especially when we have not focused on a particular model.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 26, 9:22pm
Not a huge fan of them but I am wondering about Mercedes A/B Class. I am not famiilar with the person it's for but I am thinking high seating position, hopefully electric or foot powered parking break and speed sensitive power steering.

If it wasn't for the manual parking brake I would actually suggest an almost new Fiat Panda. They are an absolute delight to drive in town and I am pretty sure the new one still has teh "city" button which gives you extra light power steering.

Also fairly high seat position for ease of getting in and out. Super reliable, super economical and actually good load space. Feels quite solid for a Fiat too.

tamarillo, Aug 27, 9:08am
Stuck on electric parking brake in price range.
Hoped Skoda roomster might fit. Overgrown polo, easy access, great back seat, NZ new etc. but has manual park brake .
But, if it was auto the would be extra reassurance of having it in park be enough? Handbrake isn't only thing holding it so might feel less stressed pulling it hard?

serf407, Aug 27, 9:20am
This model of leaf has hill assist
https://youtu.be/3ru3JtiyGF0
GVI electric can change the instrument panels on most of the import leaf models.

vtecintegra, Aug 27, 9:53am
The 1 series is quite low for a small hatch so won't be the best for getting in and out of

socram, Aug 27, 10:51am
Wife is not mobility impaired (she is a competition, ballroom dancer!) but found the handbrake on the two seater after I'd parked it, was a bit tight - probably because on one of the rare occasions I hadn't left an earlier car in gear and the handbrake fully on, it ran away! You learn by your mistakes.

Thanks for the suggestions. A scroll through TM shows the majority to be imports and dealers.

So far, have flipped through BMW, Audi, VW, Skoda, Mini. I haven't yet had a good go at French or Italian. No rush. An electric handbrake isn't crucial on an Auto, so not a high priority, as there is no need to do a handbrake start.

bjmh, Aug 27, 11:57am
VW Golf . later model. i service a few and they go well,i know you prefer Euro . but mazda 2 are good buying,my wife had one and they are a great around town car.

socram, Aug 27, 12:25pm
VW Golf is probably near the top of the list at the moment!

socram, Sep 4, 3:44pm
Mrs S has changed her mind again (must be the medication. ). Now she's settled on a Mini Cooper Auto.

Yes, the critics will be out in full force as usual, but I'm happy enough.

I now need to shift at least one car to make space, so I suppose one of the 2 seaters will have to go.

kazbanz, Sep 4, 7:25pm
Given that mrs S is allowed a new "toy" why not a nice shiny new hoist for you. One car up one car down -no need to get rid of a car.

socram, Sep 4, 8:26pm
Nice thought - but insufficient clearance under the house. Currently five cars in there already plus the GT and the trailer down at HD!

Getting too old to do the messy, oily stuff now and a duff left hand doesn't help. Limiting myself now to finishing the project car and maybe will have to re-restore the GT since I finished racing it January 2016, as it needs some TLC.

intrade, Sep 5, 6:56am
losing strenght are you talking asbout humans ? i know most my friends are older all but one complain about loosing strenght.
The one who has said he did not notice any such thing rtecons he chops firewood every day.

socram, Sep 5, 10:26am
Spinal injury for me, with nerve damage affecting the use of left hand. Wife had cancer and 21 lymph nodes removed affecting her arm.

gblack, Sep 5, 8:36pm
Would have thought a Polo would have been a good fit; cheap little euro runabout.

Have seen late model Fiat Puntos with tiptronic dirt cheap on here; drove one for a rental car and thought it was OK, so not sure what is wrong with them? Italian reliability?

My wife brought an automatic Toyota 'shipping trolley' last month. She has done 850km so far and not had to fill tank yet; early days but checking the computer read out on my new (mid sized) motorbike, it is burning more fuel per 100km. Performance has its down sides.

socram, Sep 5, 8:40pm
Yup. It is all about efficiency. You can have performance or economy from a specific engine, but you always sacrifice one for the other.

Looked at and considered Polos too, possibly preferred to the Golf as a shopping trolley, but there are very few 'NZ new' around.

As I bought my Cooper S from Team McMillan and have always been very impressed with their after sales follow ups - for years afterwards - we are happy to deal with them for a Cooper.

stevo2, Sep 6, 5:47am
What sort of Toyota? Those figures are impressive if its a petrol.

socram, Sep 6, 12:20pm
As an aside, because I don't use the performance, nor do I do many short runs, I usually get about 750kms out of the Cooper S per tank, using BP98.

kazbanz, Sep 6, 5:32pm
Hey Socram I know you are biased but have a look at the Mazda Verisa.
They are a Fun little car to drive and very similar shape to a Mini.

gblack, Sep 6, 10:52pm
Don't want to hijack Socrams thread but.

Toyota Aqua. Aka 'Prius C', a 1.5l cut down Prius, that is closer to a Yaris in size.
Estimated Km to go on the trip computer is 150km, so after a $50 fill about 3 weeks ago, will probably make the month & about 1000km between fills.
Still early days, so won't get accurate read on litres per 100km until I reset the trip meter next visit to the gas station.

Meanwhile, my new Triumph 675 make much more enjoyable noises, and judging by the snap, crackle and pop on overrun, is throwing petrol down the exhaust. Trip computer is showing range to be about 200km on my first tank, a bit over 5l / 100km

socram, Sep 27, 1:44pm
Well, that didn't take long!

Paid a fair bit more than we'd originally planned (not budgeted. ) and we scored a 2014 Mini Cooper Auto, with 25,000 on the clock. Wife says that will now probably see her out and will just hang on to it, as the anticipated mileage will be quite low.

NZ new and I didn't realise the way some of electronics have really taken off.

The service record is now held in the key fob, so we were able to see (via their computer screen) that the car had been serviced in May - including brake fluid change - and had a full check over July last year. Apparently people are so dozy about forgetting the service book, that they have done away with them!

I didn't realise that even the Cooper now has a small turbo, not just the Cooper S.

Better decide which car now has to go. Will it be the 1998 or the recently acquired 2004? Or maybe I'll put them both up for sale through the club and see which sells.