Buying a new imported American car

Page 1 / 2
daz59, Oct 28, 1:04pm
Hi all,

Im thinking of buying a hellcat, 4 guys will have some new wide bodys in early next year.

Having a chat to one of the salesmen they dont come with any warranty, one will have to be purchased. What does consumer law say under this situation? Surely they would have to have at least 12mth warranty as standard?

supernova2, Oct 28, 2:59pm
CGA will apply just like any other retail sale.

tgray, Oct 28, 4:16pm
The manufacturers warranty is null and void once the car is exported to NZ, but you have the usual NZ consumer rights if buying from a dealer here.

mrcat1, Oct 28, 7:05pm
Not sure why they wouldn't support them, there is Dodge dealers here and the imported Rams come with their factory warranty.

Personally I wouldn't buy anything off 4guys as from the small interaction I have had with them left me feeling like I needed a shower urgently.

jgoater, Oct 28, 8:46pm
Re 4guys, I asked them why they keep advertising their C7 Stingrays as having 470hp when they know and I know they are 460hp.
I was told that all phone conversations are recorded and to never call them again, then got hung up on.

framtech, Oct 29, 12:50am
Dodge don't sell these here and they only come in a left hand drive, therefore the cars are considered secondhand even if purchased brand new in the US. Left hand permits are nearly all gone for the year.
They are special imports but you can get autosure insurance.
For the money the hellcats are too expensive and super seeded by the demon which would be a better collector item, for a daily driver the R/T is a better buy and can be super charged at a later date and then beat the trick holdens and Fords, bolt on supercharger nearly 600HP without major engine up grades. The automatic gearbox beats the manuals hands down, have start control and will shut the motor down to 4 cylinder when cruising Be aware that these cars may soon be outlawed with changes to pollution laws and new government carbon targets not allowing the importation of road cars like these or at the minimum, taxes on them. There is a new V6 four wheel drive out that would make a good daily driver while still being the coolest looking car on the road.

mrcat1, Oct 29, 9:40am
Being left hand drive would have no impact on whether they will get supported here, the Rams come out of the states left hand drive and end up right hand drive here in NZ and Aussie thanks to Walkinshaw racing and still have their full factory warranty.
Wouldn't surprise me now that Holden are no longer that they don't start looking at the likes of the Hellcat and convert those.

daz59, Oct 29, 11:40am
It wont be a daily driver. The demon is another car again.

So NZ consumer law say a brand new imported left hand drive is exempt from consumer guarantees act?

nice_lady, Oct 29, 2:18pm
Where'd you get that idea ?

daz59, Oct 29, 2:49pm
From post #6 saying they are considered second hand.

3tomany, Oct 29, 2:56pm
Why dont you just buy one of these Listing #: 1377039000

lookoutas, Oct 29, 4:17pm
I know where you can get a free beer.

nice_lady, Oct 29, 4:33pm

tgray, Oct 29, 4:34pm
Second hand or not, you still have the same consumer laws from a dealer you buy from in NZ, you just don't get the manufacturers warranty.

nice_lady, Oct 29, 4:35pm
It really pays, (literally), to know your consumer rights !

tgray, Oct 29, 4:36pm
That's mine. (really).

lookoutas, Oct 29, 4:55pm
No kidding.

Hey OP - if you're gunna, and can afford to shell out for something like this, you will have to be able to roll with the punches.

daz59, Oct 29, 4:57pm
Thats why im asking on here.

daz59, Oct 29, 4:59pm
I wouldnt spent that much money on somthing that didnt have backup. And I mean more than just mechanical backup.

a.woodrow, Oct 29, 5:39pm
Dodge in NZ aren't going to cover the new vehicle warranty on a car they didn't sell. Incidentally none of the NZ franchises cover the new vehicle warranty for imports. Talk to some warranty companies for options, I know that one of the Holden dealerships picked up a few RHD cadillac cts's and made a deal with Autosure I believe to offer cover equivalent to a new vehicle warranty. You still have protection under the CGA when you buy, but this is in no way the same as what is covered under a new vehicle warranty.

daz59, Oct 29, 5:55pm
Yes dodge have nothing to do with this situation, 4 guys are responsible.
This is whats confusing, why would I talk to a warranty company (for the first year anyway) if the cga should fully cover the car? If there are any issues with the car 4 guys should be responsible for putting it right, from there it is upto them to try and claim whatever they can from the company they bought it from.

a.woodrow, Oct 29, 6:15pm
I'm not sure why you think there is a year warranty, that's not how the CGA works. But yes, you have CGA cover. CGA cover is not the same as a new vehicle warranty and wouldn't cover everything a new vehicle warranty would cover, if that is the level of cover you want I suggest you talk to a third party insurer

3tomany, Oct 29, 6:17pm
Shhhh i knew that.

mals69, Oct 29, 6:44pm
It made by Fiat, I'd feel confident enough to
flag the warranty.

supernova2, Oct 29, 7:13pm
They ARE 2nd hand. The only way you can get one here is to purchase it from a RETAIL dealer in the USA and then import it yourself. It has not been brought in by the NZ representative of the manufacturer. That is why the NZ reps don't want to know about warranty issues as they are not getting any money out of the deal.

I might be wrong but I suspect that they have to be registered and then dereg'od in the USA before they can come into NZ as well.