Car respray

monaro17, Sep 12, 4:59pm
Hi all

Looking at buying a car that needs a respray, its 35+ years old, no panel damage no rust but the sun has taken its toll. I would need the body resprayed but the engine bay, boot etc wont need doing- so its not a bare metal strip down sort of job. What could I budget for having this work done, I'm not after a world class paint job but I don't want a shocker either. It is a metallic silver if that makes a difference.

gammelvind, Sep 12, 5:04pm
$3000 to $5000 so long as it's not needing too much filling.

gunhand, Sep 12, 6:17pm
My many years experience with people not wanting a world class paint job told me that these types are dangerous and can end up being costly and a right pain (not saying you are)
They would spend 20k on a motor 5k on wheels and so on but wanted to spend 25 cents on the body and paint. Many say they dont want anything to flash, so you do a perfectly acceptable job within their budget and when they get it back they moan their tits off about some minor blemish or a bit of dirt under the sill or other crap. They suddenly wanted a 20k job not a 2k job they were prepared to pay.
And yes silver does make a difference.

monaro17, Sep 13, 2:06pm
Thanks- quite right, I'm not after a concourse job just a nice tidy job. I was sort of budgeting around $3500.

I don't suppose anybody could recommend a good company in the Chch region for this job?

the-lada-dude, Sep 13, 4:57pm
You could save a lot of coin if you wet and dry the car with 480 grit ( check )

bucket of warm soapy water and a FLAT hand, you're not really try to sand the base paint off but trying to give a key for the new paint, so don't press too hard on the paper, & don't sand in one direction or cross hatch

desmodave, Sep 13, 5:04pm
Wheres MT

couger3, Sep 13, 5:22pm
monaro17 wrote:
Hi all

Looking at buying a car that needs a respray, its 35+ years old, no panel damage no rust but the sun has taken its toll. I would need the body resprayed but the engine bay, boot etc wont need doing- so its not a bare metal strip down sort of job. What could I budget for having this work done, I'm not after a world class paint job but I don't want a shocker either. It is a metallic silver if that makes a difference.[/quote

what type of car is it ,big small are you going to remove the bumpers and mouldings door handles to keep the cost down ?

gammelvind, Sep 13, 5:53pm
Not at any of the shops I deal with, they would simply ignore any work done by the owner as far as paint prep. As suggested above, the owner removing the likes of chrome bumpers, lights etc will reduce costs.

trogedon, Sep 13, 6:02pm
480 is way to fine to get down to the point where primer can be put on.

monaro17, Sep 13, 9:42pm
Yes I would do the removing of parts.
80s Cortina

trogedon, Sep 14, 8:16am
Nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina.

the-lada-dude, Sep 14, 11:19am
Yes I did mean 400 grit, maybe 320.would be better . depends on the paint . i've always found lacquers a bastard for showing sanding marks from coarser grits

He wants a cheap paint job . so he has to find a painter who will just paint ,. yes ? . it's obviously not a fu. show car

gammelvind, Sep 14, 6:25pm
The challenge is finding a paint shop who would risk their reputation on a owner prepared car. Unless he actually knows what he is doing the likelihood is that the end result will be unfortunate with every blemish showing. This becomes a problem for the paint shop as everyone will ask "who painted your car?" and mentally note not to take their work there as there is no way the owner will say that they had done a very average prep job, making the poor workmanship the paint shops fault.

Before you say this wouldn't happen, painters love gossip and nothing delights many of them to say " did you see that job, ***** did that".

gunhand, Sep 14, 6:30pm
Oh so true.

chrisdunn, Sep 17, 12:41pm
That's cheap as chips. But just remember OP, you get what you pay for!

monaro17, Sep 17, 1:45pm
I'm budgeting around 3k

trade4us2, Sep 18, 5:27pm
Anyone tried this?
http://www.nanoclear.co.nz/

Or vinyl wrap?

trogedon, Sep 20, 5:02pm
Under $200 for all materials and my time and effort(and spray gear but done in driveway) some years ago https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/646432063.jpg