Joint ownership nzta online, can it be done!

evotime, Nov 30, 6:48am
Hi all I'm trying to change the ownership of the car I just bought, but the online transaction centrehttp://www.nzta.govt.nz/transact/doesnt seem to allow it! Am I missing something!

franc123, Nov 30, 6:53am
I think the ability to register vehicles in joint ownership, or more correctly joint legal responsibility has just been scrapped, I seem to remember something mentioned about it in the newsletter thing they include with your license reminders in the mail.It might be mentioned on the main NZTA website.

evotime, Nov 30, 7:09am
searching, searching. grrrr

fordkiwi27, Nov 30, 7:10am
x1
been scrapped. was a message on here a while ago

evotime, Nov 30, 7:14am
x1
bugger oh well cheers for that guys.
I guess I'm off to post office tomorrow then.

carstauranga001, Nov 30, 7:19am
You can no longer have two people on the certificate of registration (commonly and incorrectly refered to as ownership papers). One only so waste of time going to PO. One person will be held accountable for each vehicles re licencing and any infringements incurred.

evotime, Nov 30, 7:24am
x1
Oh the whole joint ownership is no longer!
So if like me married with different last names that's a pain.

smac, Nov 30, 7:31am
It's never had any legal standing for anything anyway. What's the issue you're trying to sort!

fordcrzy, Nov 30, 7:35am
my wife went in the other day to get rego on the car and they said that only I was the owner and she wasnt!

i wonder how much crap that will cause with divorces/buisness breakups etc.

evotime, Nov 30, 7:50am
No issue, have always had both names on cars didnt know you couldn't.

smac, Nov 30, 8:56am
What issues can it cause! As above, it's never had any legal standing. Getting half the car when you split is no different than getting half the TV. Matrimonial property is matrimonial property.

curlcrown, Nov 30, 12:22pm
All you have to do is know the registered persons name to be able to update the rego. And it doesn't prove ownership. For example if a person or campany leases a car for 3 years they would be the registered person but not hte owner. The lease company would be and they would lodge a security against the car to protect themselves.

kazbanz, Nov 30, 7:32pm
One of the law changes the gubbiment snuck through with the bike and diesel vehicle rego hikes was this little gem. Yup thyere can now only be one registered owner for any vehicle.

smac, Nov 30, 7:36pm
There only ever was one registered owner. Joint owner could never be pursued for fines or licensing fees. It was 'information only'. Might have helped Police when tracing people maybe, dunno.

lynda, Aug 12, 9:23am
x1
The main point for me of joint ownership is that if my sister dies and i have to go to her town and viceversa if she had to come to my town we would still be able to drive the car rather than it being a frozen asset.