Reg On Hold? NZTA now want to hold your plates

Page 2 / 2
triangle1, Jun 7, 11:45am
I have a scooter with the regt on hold but I keep getting renewal papers. whats the story here! BTW this scooter the clutch is stuffed so I will be selling it and the new owner will have the option of putting it back on the road.

i-n-horz, Jun 7, 1:17pm
Surely upon return of a plate (if this episode of confiscation does happen) the new plate would still have the original sequence, if so then I've lost my orignal black plate ;)

wrong2, Jun 7, 1:28pm
you can cancel a hold at anytime by getting a new rego, or by asking for the hold to be released

the people at the post shop can sort it

shuddupowh, Jun 7, 5:06pm
If they want you to return your plates, just say you'll find them and bring them in at a later time but still put on HOLD. Then dont do it.OR do it ONLINE. I have just put 3 of my cars on HOLD ONLINE. Easy. Way faster than wasting my time & gas going to the shops.

hutchk, Jun 7, 7:33pm
You can cancel, but you are then liable for licensing fees for the entire period your car was off the road (been there, done that).

mgmad, Jun 7, 7:57pm
Note the word MAY. Not WILL, MUST etc.

guider1, Jun 7, 8:28pm
I have 4 cars on hold & still have all my plates. & just last week renewed them on hold & was not asked to hand plates in.
Hahahahahaha. so you're saying they're going to scrap all the p/plates on hold!,. Tui!

guider1, Jun 7, 8:31pm
According to NZTA Palmerston (who I spoke with last week when re-holding 4 cars); if you put it back on the road within 3 months you will be charged back reg. Any longer period & this doesnt apply.

crzyhrse, Jun 7, 10:17pm
I don't need to. I don't work on opinions of others - only fact.

Here's the fact:
http://legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/2011/0079/latest/DLM2938344.html

"The Registrar may require the registered person, or the person acting on the registered person??

crzyhrse, Jun 7, 10:19pm
Please point out where it says anything to the effect of "Your plates will only have to be surrendered if NZTA has good reason to confiscate them".

kcf, Jun 7, 11:00pm
Quick, round up Betty-Sue, Billy-Bob, and get some pitchforks.Lets form a lynch mob - again.

quickbuck, Jun 8, 12:59am
Why do people confuse MAY with MUST! Sheesh.

supernova2, Jun 8, 2:31am
Just to add fuel to the fire my solicitor tells me that as a legal term the word "may" canmean "shall".If the "hold" is done on line are we now going to have a visit from a "plate collector".The mind boggles.My opinion is get caught driving aon a "hold" plate then you will loose it, car in back shed on blocks is never going to loose its plates.

kcf, May 19, 3:19am
Tui Ad.