Reg On Hold? NZTA now want to hold your plates

Page 1 / 2
planespotterhvn, Jun 7, 1:22am
Latest Classic Car Mag, Greg Price says that this change has gone under the radar You must hand your plates in to the registrar (in Palmerston North) and when you re-reg your vehicle or Motorcycle you will have to apply for the plate back. The actual wording is "(6) If the registration plate or plates are surrendered, the registrar must on expiry of the exemption, return the surrendered plate or plates, or WHERE THAT IS NOT PRACTICABLE, A DUPLICATE PLATE OR PLATES."
Say good bye to your classic or "Silver on Black" Plates! They won't build a warehouse to store plate, they will scrap them!

74nova, Jun 7, 1:29am
Thats not true. It only applies to people who have been putting there cars on hold and then continue to drive them and then getting caught, then there ordered to hand in there plates.

crzyhrse, Jun 7, 1:33am
There's no part of the legislation requiring those conditions to be met. So that post is pure fiction.

crzyhrse, Jun 7, 1:35am
BTW it's "they're" and "their".

joanie32, Jun 7, 2:32am
That is basically true. I have a letter inmy e mail from Steven Joyce himself stating this.

saffa2, Jun 7, 3:11am
Just don't get caught.

smac, Jun 7, 3:54am
planespotterhvn out of curiosity can you actually quote the article! Just wondering whether the article was wrong, or you misinterpreted it.

marcos1, Jun 7, 4:15am
???There is a segment of drivers and motorcyclists who put their vehicle license on hold while continuing to drive their vehicle as a way of avoiding payment. These measures combined with the added threat of demerit points, send a strong message that the government will not tolerate this,??? says Mr Joyce.

It is to combat the few,who try to abuse the system.

franc123, Jun 7, 4:15am
All it means is that the registrar has the discretion to confiscate plates, it doesn't mean that everyone who dares to put their rego on hold is going to lose them!Already been discussed in the thread linked to in post #5, get with the program.

crzyhrse, Jun 7, 5:40am
The law does not require them to act in that fashion. Anyone can be subject to this.

74nova, Jun 7, 5:41am
There's an artical in the lastest Petrolhead about this. Find a copy and read it.

planespotterhvn, Jun 7, 6:04am
I suggest you read the quoted magazine article and the preceding months editorial if you doubt what I say. This is a sneaky new twist to the rule that Steven Joyce may not have yet notified us about.
I cannot see why Steven says that only those caught driving on the road need to surrender their plates they will be charged their outstanding rego plus fines and demerit points. It only makes sense if ALL vehicles on hold will in future surrender their plates If they want to APPLY to the registrar to see if he will allow your rego to go on hold. And if you DO NOT surrender your plates then no exemption will be given and you will pay full rego fees for all your collection of classic cars and motorcycles (On the road or Under restoration). The bastards have got our scrotes in the vice again!

franc123, Jun 7, 6:19am
Before you get too tied up in knots how about reading the actual legislation as opposed to mere interpretations in magazine articles.Your plates will only have to be surrendered if NZTA has good reason to confiscate them.Trust me they won't want to be handling vast amounts of used number plates and neither will their agents.

http://legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/2011/0079/latest/whole.html#dlm2938344

smac, Jun 7, 7:26am
OK planespotterhvn, before I thought you were genuinely mistaken, or perhaps the article was wrong, which is why I asked you to quote it. Now I know you're an idiot.

roys351, Jun 7, 7:28am
havent we already done this thread!

74nova, Jun 7, 8:44am
Maybe but not everyone lives on trademe.

johnf_456, Jun 7, 8:45am
More like some can't usethe search engine.
Over this way
<<<

carstauranga001, Jun 7, 9:12am
I've just put my 1987 BMW 325 convertable rego on hold as it won't be used for some months. I have still got the plates on the car and was not asked to hand them in.

planespotterhvn, Jun 7, 9:39am
What part of IN THE FUTURE do you not understand!

planespotterhvn, Jun 7, 9:43am
I would be an idiot if I typed the entire article out for you. Go to the supermarket and buy yourself a copy. Read it and shut up!page 24 Greg Price. "Price On."

franc123, Jun 7, 9:47am
Geeze theres no getting through to some people is there.I give up.

johnf_456, Jun 7, 9:48am
^^ Yup

supernova2, Jun 7, 9:53am
Ive got the mag, read the article and dont agree with OP at all.Who said Greg Price is the Lord and Master on this subject.I agree with the others - read the legislation and draw your own conclusions.I have and my conclusion is we have nothing to worry about as long as we dont make a habit of driving around in unlicenced vehicles which are "on hold" - ie not to be used on the road.How simple is that to understand!

planespotterhvn, Jun 7, 10:25am
Read it and weep:
2) The registered person, or a person acting on the registered person's behalf, may apply to the Registrar for an exemption from the continuous licensing requirement.

(3) The application must be in a form acceptable to the Registrar, and contain the information and declarations that are specified by the Registrar.

(4) On receipt of a properly completed application, accompanied by any unpaid licence fees and accident insurance levies, the Registrar must, subject to subclauses (7) and (9), grant an exemption for a period that the Registrar thinks fit.

(5) The Registrar may require the registered person, or the person acting on the registered person??

ml6989, Jun 7, 10:27am
Has anybody read the article on this subject in the latest "Beaded Wheels" Vintage Car Club of N.Z. magazine. That may help some of you.