Campervans. any experience with

willynelson, Oct 11, 2:04am
a Talvor Ford Transit 6 birth or Talvor vw at all any good or bad experiences motor wise.

gammelvind, Oct 11, 3:59am
What year would certainly help.

willynelson, Oct 11, 5:24am

gammelvind, Oct 11, 5:54am
I drive an 06 transit daily. Rust is a fast developing issue and have removed it regularly. At 380,000 km the only items that are original are the turbo, clutch and fuel pump. Virtually every other mechanical item has been replaced, rebuilt or repaired ie, new engine, rebuilt gearbox repaired diff. A/C replaced 3 times the list is longer than I can be bothered typing.
I can't speak for the VW but have heard they some have issues as well.

2get1, Oct 12, 4:19am
IMO I would steer clear of any of the smaller capacity turbo diesel models around say 2000cc as you are thrashing the crap out of them to maintain motorway speeds. There is no way you could or would want to tow with one of the small engine ones. I have a Misti Canter based camper,same as most of the rental fleets 3900cc turbo diesel, can tow 2500kg behind it. Mitsi is a good reliable truck based camper. My last 14T work Mitsi I sold at near 400,000kmand it had nothing spent on it other than maintenance, and replaced the alternator and batteries.Thats it.

Workmate has a little canter work truck its loaded up past its GVWR daily, works hard and at 200,000km has had nothing go wrong with it.

My camper is at 180,000km and has had no mechanical issue at all.

Personally I would go for a larger engine that you don't have to flog the guts out of it to stay at 100km/h

captaink, Feb 22, 9:00am
Talvor is the body on the back, mechanicals are the same whatever brand of body is hanging off it so presume you are looking at x rental. last discussions I had with Maui (Management not as customer) they had a preference for VW over Transit from an operational point of view but it wasn't great and possibly biased over purchase price. I have had x Kea 06 2.4 Transits and run as rentals, no mechanical issues other than one starter motor, one clutch, in about 300km. if you are looking at 6 berth models will probably be later model. was a service agent for Apollo ( source of most Talvor's in NZ) pretty basic and some strange layouts often more suited to rental environment. Price needs to be right.