Clear Coat? Coming off bonnet

christin, Oct 4, 4:50am
Hi. I have an old car where the bonnet is peeling. I'm not worried about repaintinh it etc as it was a car that cost me $900 about six years ago and used to move stuff whilst renovating etc (odyssey so once seats down fair bit of room) and as a second car etc (and friends borrowing when their cars not available or to move lots of kids lol)

Anyway, would like to keep as passes warrant evey time and a good car, but was wondering if there is a way of getting thr peeling stuff off in one go. At the moment it gets loose around the various edges and I peel it off.

Once peeled off it looks better and less patchy underneath so just wondering if I can somehow take it all off without going to panelbbester and spending lots of $$. Would look tidier.

Not important, but thought worth a shot :-)

Thanks

gunhand, Oct 4, 4:58am
Hose with powerful jet or water blaster under the peeling areas. Or a razor blade.
If it is really stuck in some places ( as it should have been) it may/ will be difficult to remove nicely.

christin, Oct 4, 5:03am
Thanks. Have used a hose and the lifted edges come off but the rest stays stuck.

The edges get looser over time but just looks patchy and horrible on the bonnet. The rest is fine.

trogedon, Oct 4, 5:04am
We have it on the roof of one of our cars. In front of my wife I scratched "I 'heart' I" in it (I love Irene - my wife). She was impressed. I was too - cheaper than a gift.

christin, Oct 4, 5:07am
Lol. Well just me, a single female here, so unless my two cats want an I love you (and that's pretty sad) then won't be doing that :-)

gammelvind, Oct 4, 6:06am
A razor blade at regular intervals as it continues to lift. Really no other simple way.

trogedon, Oct 4, 6:19am
Cats need love too. My username comes from one of my cats.

melonhead1, Oct 4, 6:59am
Spray some clearcoat over the patches and wetsand with 2000 grit to get rid of the orange peel effect and buff.

It can look poor but it can arrest further peeling.

christin, Oct 4, 7:12am
The cats get love lol, but they're not so popular at the moment due to one bringing me in a live rat Thursday night alive and squealing and promptly loosing it in one of spare rooms.

Tried to find it but after half an hour of it running around and hiding under cabinets and jumping ay me I left both of them in the room to deal with it but I suspect they just snored on the bed and no body to be found. hoping rat escaped under house through small gap nu wardrobe as can't find the damn thing in there and my two cats are no help!

christin, Oct 4, 7:14am
Its only the edges I could get to with a razor blade and I can just flick them off with fingernails.

The rest is well stuck down till the edges lift and slow process!

I don't really want to sand and clearxoat, as its all patchy like that and would look better all of it gone and unpatchy.

gunhand, Oct 4, 7:20am
Another trick could be to find some very sticky tape, lay over patches and tear off, just like doin ya, eeeer, lady lines. May work, ive pulled off paint work by doing this.

christin, Oct 4, 7:42am
Thanks. May try that, tho suspect quite tight to get off. It's like once the edges go it's easy to get off but the rest stuck.

Prob as water gets to the new edges or something. I gave it a good squirt with the hose today whilst cleaning the rest of it, it got some loose stuff off but never loosened the other bits.

xs1100, Oct 4, 9:13am
water will eventually work, I have the same on my hack and started off little bits and now most of bonnet gone looks terrible but car still goes fine so keep using it

christin, Oct 4, 5:54pm
Yeah waters working but taking months and only small bits at a time so being impatient as I can see it's going to look a lot better when it's all gone.

Slightly different shade Prob, but at least all one colour!

Was just wondering if way to speed up but guess I'll have to bee patient!

pestri, Oct 4, 9:49pm
Try a heat gun. start of low temp, and increase the temp as required?

elect70, Oct 4, 10:33pm
Yes i accidently did that on hood of my old disco with the water blaster after comming back from beach . So used it to take it all off & gave it light sanding & recoated with dulon clear . good as new almost .

christin, Oct 4, 10:39pm
I do have a water blaster, but was a bit scared that would damage the paint part?. Will give it a go later when it's a bit warmer to get soaked in cold water out there!

807, Mar 23, 9:06am
classic !