You know you're getting old when.

Page 1 / 3
shotgunkid, Sep 26, 9:21pm
Started working in 1985 earning $133 a week. Petrol about 60cents, beer $2 a jug, car rego $60 and all vehicles rego was due in August every year. . Bought a 69 HT Premier for $3k. wish I still had it.

tgray, Sep 26, 9:24pm
Walking around the car in the dark one evening, to throw the empty bottle of Johnnie Walker in the recycle bin, and I walked full tilt into a rusty towbar. Cracked the bone and got infected. I think the scotch numbed most of the pain at the time, but that hurt for a good week.

mrfxit, Sep 26, 9:54pm
LOL yea NAH, most of the time I KNEW who put it there = me

mrfxit, Sep 26, 10:00pm
Lot of young ppl in this thread.

My normal weeks pay packet was $45 as a full farm hand.
3 years later & petrol was 83 cents a gallon & it was costing me $5 to go from Hawera to Paeroa in my hotted up 1500cc 105E Anglia

bwg11, Sep 26, 10:10pm
In 1963, I could fill my Mini (about 4½ gallons or a bit over 20 litres) and buy 20 Pall Mall and get change out of a pound ($2).

ambo11, Sep 26, 10:30pm
I know I'm getting old cos. don't walk past toilets so often, don't have the same trust in farts. lol. and suddenly speeding becomes a lot scarier than it used to. My first pay packet was working for a butcher after college every day, 3.30 to 5.30, used to get $17.50 a week. thought I was Donald Trump walking round with that sorta cash on me! Back when a $1 mixture was a huge bag of lollies you could hardly get through, petrol price I'm unsure at that age, but used to get the lawnmower petrol can and $2 would fill it. vinyl LPs were the rage and about $12, and I had to wait hours to record my fave song off the radio onto a tape. shortly after it was $2 for a jug, and I think $3 for a fill your own flagon. Man I wish I could go back to those years, change a few things in life!

ambo11, Sep 26, 10:34pm
Oh and as a youngster I remember Hillman Hunters etc etc with the "running in, please pass" paper signs in the back window, back in the days of 30/40 oil, retreads being flash, and razor blade crossplies on most cars. Oh and respect and boundaries, man I miss those in society now.

laurelanne, Sep 26, 11:49pm
In younger days I used to dream about being able to afford a new Mercedes. Now that I can, I wouldn't give you two bob for one.

russell.s.c, Sep 27, 2:16am
That's not old that's careless. Should have painted the tow-bar with rubberised paint.

lookoutas, Sep 27, 2:50am
No need - looks like he already had rubberised legs.

corky, Sep 27, 3:25am
Getting excited when the old man would wind the Morris Oxford up to 60 MPH on the Auckland motorway.

gsimpson, Sep 27, 3:34am
Cars I built have now recently been restored.

russell.s.c, Sep 27, 6:58am
I've only regretted selling two cars from the many I've owned, a '72 Mini 1000 and the beautiful Series III Oxford.

lookoutas, Sep 27, 8:06pm
You're a "poor bugga" in more ways than one.

clatty, Sep 27, 8:14pm
When I used to look at a posh looking lady that came out of a shop or something like that, I would get back a look of filth now they don't bother.

kazbanz, Sep 27, 8:30pm
Im remembering first being in NZ
Milk was 4c a bottle delivered
5c bought you an iceblock
1c bought you 3 wine gums.
petrol was under 50c a litre

nightboss, Sep 27, 8:34pm
I remember having to get up an hour earlier every Wednesday to catch the bus to school. Wednesday was Mum's "Carless Day".

Can you imagine the public's reaction if parliament tried to bring in that law again today.

countrypete, Sep 27, 8:43pm
Bahh! $1 a gallon? Petrol will never be that dear!

countrypete, Sep 27, 8:44pm
IN 1973 a brand new Vauxhall Viva was the same price as a brand new Lotus 7. (Steel bros 7?)

socram, Sep 27, 9:16pm
. when you had to use hand signals for turning, slowing down and stopping, on your driving test, even though the car you were driving had those new fangled flashing indicators rather than trafficators! (I can already hear some saying, "What the heck are trafficators?"

nightboss, Sep 27, 9:38pm

socram, Sep 28, 2:33am
LOL! On my 60 year old project car (which is younger than I am), I have retained the trafficators and wired them up on a separate circuit to the indicators and added a repeater just underneath.

http://www.monza.org.nz/cars/8monza8/8images/210_1216_02.JPG

nightboss, Sep 28, 2:49am
You know you are getting old when you hear your favourite "cruising in the car" music being pumped through the speakers in a lift.

mrfxit, Sep 28, 3:14am
LOL yea, it's not like you are going to hear bands like Iron Maiden in an elevator

mrfxit, Sep 28, 3:26am
Milk was in 600mil glass bottles when dawned on me that it was 3 cents each.
Never had to think about it before that.
That was because my car gave the milk delivery boy a fright & he dropped 3 bottles
Petrol was 48 cents per gallon. about 1974 ish

Just found this
Direct PDF download price list
https://www.theaa.com/public. /Petrol_Prices_1896_todate_gallons.pdf