Scantools what do you have ? what is the best.

intrade, Jun 7, 7:07am
This pops up every now and then and then they dont reply to the tread they started afterwards.

snoopy221, Jun 7, 7:11am
Over tirty years of experience. (in spelling-lol)

intrade, Jun 7, 7:29am
So what is best i can answer this part the best is the oem tool in the factory , secound best is a aftermarket tool whom is 99% oem capable .
Like for volkswagen one of the best and lowest cost one is
Rosstech-vcds. = fully vag vw. audi seat skoda capable scanner
another oem scanner is autologic for its makes it covers .
this is the 2 i know off whom are the best of what they can do.

intrade, Jun 7, 7:43am
3 minute video i found from a newzealand place they state exactly what i said word for word about emissions rules and no room for error .
whatch the video and tell me if you been to there training from perroject?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHMazy8LdLI&html5=1

snoopy221, Jun 7, 8:28am
3 minute video i found from a newzealand place they state exactly what i said word for word about emissions rules and no room for error .

Nah dey juss talked aboot can a bus

intrade, Jun 7, 8:32am
2 minute 20 secounds designed around emission legislations

strobo, Jun 7, 8:48am
You're on to it. lol ;-)

sr2, Jun 7, 9:01am
+1, that got a laugh out of me.

NZTools, Jun 7, 11:20am
No one scantool is best. They all have strengths and weaknesses. I use an Autel Maxidas which i haget good results with if used in combination with plenty of experience and common sense. If I'm reall stuck, i have access to a mobile guy who has a van full of oem scanners. Only had to use him twice in the last couple of years, but he's a handy guy to know

bigfatmat1, Jun 7, 11:26am
Hanatech p2, Carman scan, autel maxidas, wabco abs elbs laptop and scan tool 4 Comercial truck trailer. And 2 X dealership scantools new edition Pico scope

intrade, Jun 7, 8:17pm
plese list limmitations .
i have the multiplatform launch scantool but only the android , i have the same software on it as the 3500+$ model mind you i also spent now 1500$ on software and only have half the cars on the list.
launch strenght definetly is on (nissan and toyota petrol engines )
it can even code diesel injectors but dont shows the more important stuff of injector compensation that you actuarly need to figure if the injector is faulty,
Rosstech on the other hand lists live data about correction and on the programm handy maximum - minimum values of what the injector should correct as maximum value befor it is deemed faulty and should come out for testing , and possible replacing befor damage occures. them values you find quite often listed on any live data tests on rosstech vcds. vw audi only tool. launch has no support what so ever if there is a problem. like the oem data scan is all that works on the android idiag the wiring diagramm and rest of it is there just for a joke or to make you angry . you also need to know what the stuff is you see its not for diy like on toyota running rough launch diagnostic 1 code over amparage ignition circuit was the message launch had coded for that fault when i pulled it and i already did know the spark plugs where more then overdue.
New plugs erase codes and it was gone . faulty plugs stressed the 2001 vvti toyota engine and this fault was loged in oem section launch is only any good on oem side of codes and data streams. works mint on my 95 obd1 corolla also with live data for stepper motor park neutral switch aircon etc.

llortmt, Jun 8, 8:38am
Multimeters (digital and analogue), Test-light, 20 year old Dick Smith Oscilloscope, HT/Coil tester, O2 simulator, Infrared Thermometer. Launch & Hanatech scan tools.
The limitations with all these tools is me.

bigfatmat1, Jun 8, 9:07am
Hmm limitations. Carman scan is slow I don't think I have found a car it works on yet. Hanatech crap display good coverage but things never work on it like nissans actuator tests hardly ever work. Data stream is unreliable. Wabco excellent no limitations. The other two dealership supplied tools are good. Limitations. Cannot delete stuff ie immobilizers or dpfs. However I noticed when on a training course the tech guys did do this so just a access thing.

intrade, Jun 8, 9:12am
i did not mean to list other things but well here is my list
roostech vcds idiag-launch launch-yellow-adapter boxobd1 pico-4channel automotive scope, noumerous multimeters a few test lights ,loadpro-voltagedrop-testleads-
, mm03 commonrail system tester hiykley obd2-brakeoutbox 2 sets of hickley test leads and resistors and trimmers for diagnostic . Secorüt 12volt voltage tool to apply a load to a circuit plus or minus to be used with caution. OBD2-globaldiagnostic only tool from unicarscan=maker of elm327 chip , vag-drive box to turn off immobilizer in edc 15 ,16 ecu
ktag-chiptuining and -mpps and 25 amp-ctech charger-voltage 25 amp supply infrared thermometer, probably forgot a few more things haha.

ladatrouble, Jun 8, 9:48am
My Snap-On Vantage and Fluke 98 from last century still keep me happy. the Vantage is my $4,000 every day multi meter. My scan tool these days is my phone - clears codes, streams data, nearly all the stuff the Maxidas could do and faster. I miss being able to do OBDI and Nissan, flash codes just don't do it.

intrade, Jun 8, 9:51am
ladatrouble what scantool have you got on phone?
for nissan obd1 just get the consult i would say i have that also obd1 nissan consult and the nissan from http://www.nissandatascan.com/

ladatrouble, Jun 8, 11:42am
Torque on the phone, and an ELM bluetooth. Limited to OBDII, but works good enough for the amount of cars we see.

jason_247, Jun 8, 10:48pm
Ok intrade might as well translate what people mean when they say "whats the best scan tool" what they actually mean is "what tool is most likely to clear my codes for under $100 or under $50."

intrade, Jun 9, 2:02am
Umm you dont get it do you? you dont clear no codes to fix things .
codes are a "hint" to the problem. if your out of fuel on a car then bending the needle on your gague is not going to put fuel in the tank.
all it does is make you think you now have fuel again. and that is the exact same with erasing codes the problem is not fixed its justed erased so that you think all is well.
So erasing the "hint " you had to your problem will make it more expensive and complicated to trace back when you just erased the important information you had to actuarly fix it.

jason_247, Jun 9, 2:36am
Im not saying its right im saying thats what most people are actually asking.

and no you dont clear codes to fix things but you do clear them when its fixed.

to use your analogy of running out of fuel. you wouldnt bend the needle on the gauge. but i also wouldnt fill the car with petrol then pay a mechanic $120 to put fuel cap back on, even if the dealer trained him how to do it

Personally i have an elm327 that works most of the time. its a good tool to get an idea on whats working and whats not.

great for jobs like the faulty AFM i had a while back where it wasnt throwing a code but the live data readout showed some odd figures on both airflow rate and Intake air temp. New AFM and those figures settled down and the rough running disappeared.

Anything bigger and i check it out with my reader and do my own research before i go to the expense of having it read by a proper scanner.

llortmt, Jun 9, 8:49am
Yes I get it more and more 'it had some codes but my mate cleared them'
'So your mate just wiped down the murder scene and now you want ME to tell you who done it? "

intrade, Jun 12, 9:01pm
i watched scantool shootout video last night instead of the crap probably on tv from tst seminars with G truguillia i trust they know what they do was a live recording with all its problems like tools needing reboot no codes launch showed a ton of codes but where they now ghost codes or real as it also droped out and would not reconnect so they moved on to the next. The maxi-das was working the best on random picked mercedes 2003 model
supertech1 . autologic was also mentioned but thats a oem tool for the makes it covers and costs more so i guess it was not there as compeditor they should use the oem tool as reference . what others do.

gsimpson, Jun 24, 7:15pm
For a lot of Italian cars (and some Suzuki) 'multiecuscan' is great as it includes detailed information and diagnostic procedures for these cars. (50euro to buy)

I had to get an old school analogue multimeter to check out my 1945 Austin though as the electrical noise around it was too much for my digital meter.