A can of worms.

bjmh, Nov 23, 2:34am
Listing #: 982972599 a couple of budding engineers have converted their pushbikes and are blatting around the neighbourhood.While I admire their ability to get motive power, I'm guessing Mr Plod won't be far behind.I'm jealous we never had the selection of cool little engines in my long lost youth days.

kazbanz, Nov 23, 2:41am
Yea as cool as they are .They are a motorcycle as far as the police are concerned,-or at the least a scooter. So need all the signals etc and need to be registered.

whqqsh, Nov 23, 6:48pm
yeah, had a guy on one of those Aussie cop programs getting pulled over for a powered vehicle not complying to the rules

debulebule, Nov 23, 8:09pm
There is a guy blasting too and from work on one here in Tauranga, seen him a few times now, latest was last week. No idea if he's been stopped though.

msigg, Nov 24, 12:06am
Registration won't happen, there are plenty of these things around, been here for years.and the electric ones, no need to register. If they get more cars off the road all the better. We have more problems than this to worry about. Have fun.

richardmayes, Nov 24, 12:12am
Hmmm.

Might go well on a classic steel tri-ang tricycle from the 1970s (with a go-kart diff?)

tintop, Nov 24, 12:19am
Under 50cc - I seem to recollect that there is some sort of exemption as long as there are pedals. ?

tintop, Nov 24, 12:23am
I ran (biked?) away from home when I was about 3 on my trike, even now I am amazed at how far I got before someone caught me. ( On the road from Waiterere Beach towards Levin. - a pretty sleepy hollow during week days in the mid 1940's :) )

afer_daily, Nov 24, 1:03am
tintop / thats what i thought but local said no / said the same about mt motorised chilly bin . no sence of humour .

noswalg, Nov 24, 1:03am
under 50cc and cannot exceed 50kph is classed as a moped, still requires registration but can be ridden on any license and doesn't require a WOF. This is the class where most scooters wrongly end up.

elect70, Nov 24, 2:14am
Say its a mobility scooter .

lookoutas, Nov 24, 5:36am
I thought motorised pushbikes were OK.
No issues with the electric ones.

Hey tintop - I looked hard at a scooter in Farmers, and thought the old man won't buy that for me, so I took it and proceeded to head off home. 9 miles away over a metal saddle road. I was almost out of town when one of the girls from Farmers caught me up.

tintop, Nov 24, 5:52am
lol - You should have kicked harder!

lookoutas, Nov 24, 6:08am
It started raining, so I was trying to get under the bridge to wait it out!

Meanwhile - back in town - there was a hell of a panic developing.

It was my brothers fault. There was only one thing I ever got to play with that he hadn't wrecked before I got it.

seadubya, Nov 24, 6:37am
I thought from the thread title that you were talking about https://tinyurl.com/nz9yoth

debulebule, Nov 28, 12:09am

bjmh, Nov 28, 12:16am
cheers for that ,thought as much

gazzat22, Nov 28, 12:29am
There was an attachment years ago which fitted on an ordinary push bike called i think a Power Pack which basically assisted when riding a bike .From memory it was ok on the flat but going up hill or "doubling" one had to pedal.It worked with a small 2stroke motor which drove a cogged attachment on the rear wheel of the 'sitting down walking machine. There were also Mopeds which one pedalled to start but were either called "Harnessed farts" or referred to as "Wouldnt pull a sick Woman of a Pisspot or more genteely "the skin of a rice Pudding"

bwg11, Nov 28, 12:31am
Quote from the linked piece. "Mr Campion said these petrol-powered bicycles can reach speeds over 50km/h and can become difficult to control, and when coupled with their inherent braking inadequacies and low rated tyres, they are dangerous".

If this is so, why are the few cyclists which use my daily commute over Dyers Pass, permitted to play Lance Armstrongs on the down hill runs, arse in the air, taking the "racing line", using all their side of the road, with several cars behind, unable to overtake, not ticketed for being "dangerous" with their low-rated tyres and inadequate brakes while exceeding the horrific speed of 50 kph?

richardmayes, Nov 28, 1:10am
There is a legal speed limit for bicycles, I forget if it is 40 or 45.

The obvious answer to your question is (A) because there was no police officer present to see them doing it, and (B) there was no number plate for concerned motorists to report to *555.

SO they are not "being permitted" to do it, but they are "getting away with it." But getting away with stuff that is against the letter of the law seems to be a favourite topic on here?

I've done some reasonable speeds down Dyers' pass on a pushbike. Never held up any motorists. Never been told off. Never pretended I was Lance Armstrong. It's certainly a rush, when can feel your rear wheel starting to lift as you brake a bit before a corner!

lookoutas, Nov 28, 4:33am
OK - so what about electric bikes?
I took one for a blast down Palmy. They get along at about 30.
Spoze 50 is getting a bit quick!

brapbrap8, Nov 28, 6:44am
I am fairly certain that the posted speed limit applies to bicycles.

The problem with those engine kits is that people usually bolt them onto warehouse bikes with rubbish brakes, wheel rims and tyres, and are usually ridden by muppets.
I have seen plenty of times where people have tried to do big descents on cheap bikes and just held the brakes on the whole way down, resulting in the rims exploding, the tyre coming off and the rider heading for the ditch.

neville48, Aug 22, 5:09pm
Remember the old Tas motor you could buy that had a roughened drive bar on the crank end. You fitted this in front of the handlebars and you got moving then lowered the motor with the handle to contact the drive bar on the rubber tread of the tyre and away you went.