Jump Start Devices. ?

roger49, Jul 29, 1:28am
Can anyone advise on what to get? How often would they need to be re-charged?. The mini pack type seem good . Would they keep a charge longer than the conventional packs? Where to buy, value for money? etc.

andy61, Jul 29, 1:40am
why?, a good battery is far more useful than a jump start device that might never get used.

tgray, Jul 29, 1:53am
Best to pay a bit more and get a decent one. The cheapies are only good for about 3 jump starts before needing to recharge.
note: These devices usually require a full charge at least every 3 months or they die early.

kazbanz, Jul 29, 2:44am
Roger49 - why do you want a jump start device?
Im not being a smart alec here. Dependiing on your response will decide the advice I give you.
(I have need to use them reasonably often)

roger49, Jul 29, 4:45am
Having left my lights on a number of times I've been fortunate enough to be helped by others in the vicinity. I do spend quite a bit of time in isolated back country and want to carry something to avoid being caught out in some place where a good device would be a life saver!

gammelvind, Jul 29, 4:58am
I have sold a number of those jump starts, the red one also sold by Repco. Brilliant little beasts as they hold their charge for three months comfortably much better than most lead acid units. In a case so they easily fit in the boot of the car and with a usb port to charge your cell phone. I have seen them start some large tired engines. These are great for the home user.
I sold them to the trade and frankly they aren't up to daily use, too small, and we have had to replace a number of them because they crapped out within the warranty period. Not one of my low use customers has had a problem though. If all you want is the security of a start anytime,so long as you charge it every few months, plus you can do this while you are driving around as they come with a cig charge as well as a psu.

kazbanz, Jul 29, 5:19am
in that case the unit I'd suggest costs about $170. Its very small and light. Literally about the size of a slab of butter.
--woaa hang on--sorry-standard jappa/Non diesel is it?

roger49, Jul 29, 5:27am
No not a diesel. What make is it and where can it be purchased?

kazbanz, Jul 29, 5:33am
Question 2 I can't answer for you--ie Im t-other end of the country.
Watch this space tomorrow AM and i'll find out for you

tony9, Jul 29, 5:37am
Just bear in mind that letting a car battery go flat more than about two or three times will stuff it.

A new battery and being a bit more careful may be a more reliable approach.

roger49, Jul 29, 5:40am
Thanks so much. Will do.

2sheddies, Jul 29, 5:43am
Trust me, you'll use it. and you become your neighbours best mate.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 29, 6:10am
The key is to get a quality lithium battery based unit. Good lithium battery's quite happily hold their charge for a year or more and don't mind being left partially charged either. Do be aware there are different lithium technologies and each have their pro's/con's. LiFePO4 would likely be a good option for you. I would get one with a USB and/or cigarette lighter outlet attached as these are also suitable for small long draw applications like charging your phone or running a light.

Lastly, also consider adding an aftermarket lights on but key out buzzer to your car. Even if you can jump start it when you leave your lights on, your battery won't actually cope with being run flat very many times before it dies. It's just not designed for that to happen.

Best of luck with it.

cassina1, Jul 29, 6:44am
Some of those units cost the same as a new battery. Maybe buy a new battery and fit it to one of those portable car battery cases you can buy at Supercheap.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 29, 7:15am
To achieve what exactly?
A battery in a case is seriously heavy, bulky, doesn't like sitting partially charged and needs to be recharged regularly. Even if a proper jump starter is more expensive than a regular battery, it's still much more suitable for the purpose.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 29, 7:17am
That's more like what I had in mind too. You can get larger versions too, but as you say that one is probably more than adequate for the purpose.

Just make sure it's lifepo4 not li ion or lipo.

snoopy221, Jul 29, 7:23am
Sugesstion=de[endin on EXACARRY WHAT YA DRIVIN?
Woldn't cost much to have lights wired to ignition=turn key? off NO PROBLEMO-K

gammelvind, Jul 29, 8:25am
That's the one I have been selling, I have seen it start a 4litre petrol Jeep and a 3litre deisel Jappa. Wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it.

clark20, Jul 30, 10:22am

hamhonda, Aug 1, 3:57am
Yep, use this type myself in our wrecking yard, holds charge for ages. Jump starts nearly anything, even used it to start our old diesel forklift with it - without a battery in her. Also has a LED light in it if you need to use it at night. Use it every day for the last 2years and it's still going fine, has a warning light on it so you know if the charge is getting down and can be plugged in to your house mains or your car cig lighter to recharge it. (wonder if I get a commission for future sales of these haha)

gsimpson, Aug 1, 11:39pm
Why not get a relay fitted to your lights so they are off when you stop the car?

cassina1, Aug 3, 9:27am
I thought Jumpstarters were like batteries in that they do not have to be hooked up to the mains.
Some have 12v power terminals on them too.

2sheddies, Aug 3, 10:16am
You're thinking of the larger portable power packs which connect direct to the battery terminals in the same manner as using another car and regular leads. They still need to be charged after every use and periodically if left sitting unused for a while, by connecting to the mains with an AC adaptor.

scuba, Nov 21, 5:38pm
no- would take a bit more than that to stuff it.