Whats your thoughts on this?

Page 1 / 2
mr_lovebug, Nov 29, 7:35am
My girlfriend took her car for a WOF at the local garage and it came back all okay BUT warned that tyres was down to just over 2mm tread.
The car came back with 25 kms on the clock and Taumarunui is NOT that bigger place and she walked in to her work after dropping it off.

How many Km's should it get for a wof?

3 days later the car started to shake in the steering and I thought it might of just been a wheel weight, now 5 weeks later, we have had REPLACE both front tyres due to tyre separation. Tyres went out of shape both sideways AND height ways too.

I have read up on the separation and it looks like potholes at speed CAN cause the problem BUT after a WOF and I know for a fact that she NEVER gets near potholes and I don't drive the car often and she is in the car if and when I do drive (it's on long trips if I drive).

Whats your thoughts? Can it be the wof guy did something that damaged the tyres?

neville48, Nov 29, 7:40am
Thats a long shot maaaate. You only had 2mm left on them anyway so they do need replacing but if you are suggesting the WOF guy is going to replace them after he "may" have done 25kms at wof time is a long shot and an insult. unless he's a dodgy prick and you shouldn't have gone there ?

barrie2, Nov 29, 7:41am
Less than 1.
Someone's been running about in the car. Whether they hit pot holes no one (only them) will ever know.

franc123, Nov 29, 7:47am
Highly unlikely. Having done brake testing for 20 years with both Tapley and roller testers you would have to do something pretty extreme to even flat spot them in the course of the test. The only other time a tyre is loaded abnormally in any other way is with a leverage bar during the suspension check. If the tyres were low with no signs of separation at the time of the check then it would be passed with a warning. as you got. You do have to question why it got driven as far as it did though.

mr_lovebug, Nov 29, 7:50am
How can they put 25 km's on the clock for a wof?

The tyres was not flat spotted but did start to separate days after the WOF.
Less than a week the thump started to come.

tweake, Nov 29, 7:55am
sounds like they have been running around in the car.
had that with a panelbeater, they must have used to it to take stuff to the dump as it came back with broken glass on the deck.
never gone back to them.

bigfatmat1, Nov 29, 8:05am
To be honest is it worth the time perusing this. 25km may be excessive but what do you expect as a outcome you needed tyres. take your business elsewhere next time

brapbrap8, Nov 29, 8:24am
How old are the tyres? The seperation may be an unlucky coincidence.
My Wof guy only does about 1km up the road and back for brake testing.

gpg58, Nov 29, 8:32am
I suspected a mechanic of using my truck a few years ago, when getting some mods installed, even though mileage seemed ok, so i left a voice activated tape recorder in the glove box, and sure enough it recorded him driving on a shingle road, sod was disconnecting speedo too. His excuse, his truck was blocked in by other vehicles, so he took mine home for lunch. Needless to say i never went back.

seadubya, Nov 29, 8:42am
My thoughts are, get a trustworthy mechanic. They can do all sorts of work on my car that directly impacts mine and my families safety. Now that I have two trustworthy mechanics, I would let them take my vehicles anywhere they want, as I know I can trust them. Funnily enough, they haven't taken them far at all but it wouldn't be an issue if they did.

mr_lovebug, Nov 29, 9:10am
The tyres was only 3 yrs old and still in good condition.

seadubya, Nov 29, 9:16am
In my mind 2mm is not good condition, due for replacement soon, separation or not.

mr_lovebug, Nov 29, 9:19am
The car only is used around Taumarunui normally, it hardly leaves town.
It only does 5k per year on average.

2mm would of been okay till the next wof. Lady driver after all.

dr.doolittle, Nov 29, 9:24am
You sound like the sort of person who buys secondhand tyres & expects them to last the life of the car.
Why dont you just confront the mechanic & let us know how you get on.

jmma, Nov 29, 9:26am
Driven around town all the time is a lot harder on tyres than driven on highways IMO.
Getting close to 2mm and probably cheap tyres to start with, maybe a cause,
This is the problem with yearly WOFS "2mm would have been OK till next WOF", Maybe, maybe not, need to replace them now.

dr.doolittle, Nov 29, 9:28am
PS. how can you say for a fact you know she never hits pot holes?
Thats like me saying for a fact, my wife never hits anything, yet her car says otherwise.

mr_lovebug, Nov 29, 9:30am
Re post 14, I only buy NEW tyres.

Re post 15, The car is a 97 so 6 month wof's.

Tyres normally last me 40,ooo km's.

dr.doolittle, Nov 29, 9:39am
So buy new tyres, problem solved.

franc123, Nov 29, 9:44am
You've worn a set of tyres from 7-8mm down to 2mm in three years averaging 5000km a year, so after 15000km they're borderline warrantable and delaminating?. I've seen sales reps doing upwards of 60k per annum in mixed driving make the front tyres on their FWD cars last much longer than 15k, and without rotating them! Sorry buddy but unless the car came back with molten rubber stuck to the mudguards after having the wof and maybe evidence it might have been driven up and down flights of stairs this story ain't stacking up, regardless of the quality of tyre fitted.

curlcrown, Nov 29, 10:25am
How much do you think tyres with 2mm tread are worth?

peja, Nov 29, 11:33am
I'd just replace the tyres - at 2mm they are VERY borderline anyway - and not go back there. To be honest I'm surprised they passed them with that little tread. The seperation sounds like a coincidence, and quite possibly wear related. The 25km's does sound excessive, but isnt actionable. And at smaller places that dont have full brake testing equipment they do often take the vehicle out for on road brake testing.

Funnily enough I had an experience quite some years ago with a place where I took my car for a WOF, and the testing station manager took my car out for a drive to do exactly that - brake testing - and had an accident in it.

I actually saw the crash, and it wasnt his fault, but that of a combination of circumstances triggerred by another driver doing an illegal right hand turn. He looked extremely worried when I turned up moments later, but because I'd seen what happened I didnt give the poor bugger a hard time. Repairs were all covered by his insurance anyway

franc123, Nov 29, 12:24pm
Just to add some clarification here, if a tyre has minimum 1.5mm tread depth across 3/4 of its width (or in all of its primary treads if that applies) and around its entire circumference and is otherwise deemed to be compliant, then it cannot be failed. Also it needs to be highlighted that a WOF is merely a snapshot and approval by the inspector of a vehicles compliance at the time of its inspection, it isn't a guarantee of compliance for any period in the future up until its expiry date and in between times it is the OWNERS responsibility to ensure ongoing compliance, and to seek professional advice if they suspect it isn't. All vehicle operators should know and understand this. Carry on.

kazbanz, Nov 29, 8:58pm
mr lovebug--sorry dude I don't see your point. Tyres at the best were 3/4 worn. They as it turns out are bad enough now to need replacing. So Girlfreind spends the $200 ish for a new pair and all are happiness filled.
The 25km thing I bet is a red herring UNLESS she actually recorded the exact miles when she left the car.

tamarillo, Nov 30, 5:45am
Can't agree. Tyres are 3 yrs old but down to 2 ml. That's it, tyre done. If it started with 8 ml then you've worn 2 ml per year.
6 months down to 1 ml. Year none.

tamarillo, Nov 30, 5:47am
What make tyres were old ones out of interest!
This is sort of thing seen many decades ago but haven't seen of late. Might just be lucky though.
Reputable brand?