Yearly wofs?

intrade, Jan 18, 5:50am
2000 onwards gets 1 year wof. Remember a wof is only a sticker on your windscreen so the police and parking wardend wont give you a instant fine.
it dont means that your car is now serviced or roadworthy that is your responsebility to maske sure your car is sevrviced and save to use like tyre not below minimum and all the rest.

franc123, Jan 18, 5:51am
1/1/2000 first registration date is the fixed cutoff for annual WOFs, brand new vehicles get 3 years to start off with then go back to annual, in both cases they stay permanently on annual, 6 month is only for pre 2000's.

mrfxit, Jan 18, 6:32am
Yea NAH, can't see it staying like that, imagine in 10 /20 years time, the number of year 2000 vehicles still on a 1 year wof.

msigg, Jan 18, 6:41am
It should stay like that, No reason not too. Not many accidents caused by vehicle defects.As they age they will get put off the road by engine and trans failures and mechanical/electrical repairs that exceed the worth of the car, self regulating like most other countries.

franc123, Jan 18, 8:09am
That is the current rule. NZTA won't change their plan of phasing out 6 month WOFs via natural attrition of the vehicle fleet unless their was a significant increase in vehicle defects causing crashes. I don't see them reverting to a practice that is not carried out anywhere else in the world somehow.

buyit59, Jan 18, 8:16am
But you can bet the parking wardens will be looking for bald tyres and giving tickets and possibly insurance companies may elect not to pay out on claims if car is not up to wof standard. and with one year wof and a wheel out of alignment it is easy to miss unless you have a good look.

laspaz, Jan 18, 8:17am
Would be good to go to an annual WoF for vintage vehicles. Bit of a hassle if they don't get driven much. Also usually fairly well maintained too.

tgray, Jan 18, 8:17am
The idea is a move towards yearly WOF's for all vehicles.
This by default, goes a long way towards it.
"Natural attrition" will take care of it eventually.

wron, Jan 18, 11:08am
Any news about COF's? I only do about 8k in my camper, that's $120 (a bit less with Motorhome assoc. discount per 6 months), 2011 vehicle.

dublo, Jan 18, 7:58pm
And an annoying thing about the 2000 cut-off is that our low-km, fastidiously maintained 1999 Accord requires a WoF check every 6 months (after about 2500km) while a high-mileage and neglected but otherwise identical 2000 one we saw needs only annual WoFs!

intrade, Jan 18, 8:27pm
i agree even do i am quite glad they did it like this because my 2000 merc van has not got abs nor airbags or any other crap and i now only need to go for a vip sticker called a wof every 12 month . if it was about savety then vehicle with airbags etc would get a year and once you had to disable the airbags 6 month, but the wof is a joke anyhow so it should be fully abolished. the cops run around with there green and pink sticker booklets anyhow.

so the way to go would be you need to make sure your car is up to wof standard and only if you get pink stickerd you would need to pass a wof . at places where they do a propper wof.

I even noticed in europe the wof has gone more lax then it used to be in switzerland garages can now fix and pass wof failed items them selfs before it was a new wof apointment from only government testing agents , as you have to bring your vehicle in for a wof so it will pass the test , not them telling you all the stuff that is still wrong , 3 items found in the 1990s and you where out with a new full apointment
test 1 was emissions test 2 wheel alignment plate with indicator how accurate the alignment is needle only showed pass fail and 3th test is shock absorbers vibrator machine operated testing all 4 must be within 25% of each other and a minimum of 75% shock absorbing rate.
98% of nz cars would have failed right at the first 3 tests.
I dont know how mutch more relaxed it is now but its getting more relexed and here its getting stupidly tuff .
compaired to the 1990s in nz wof the vtnz told me my cortina was loosing oil and i should make sure i carry enough oil in the car to fill it up again.
i fixed the problem was a leaking oil pressure switch ut it still used 1 pack of decka oil a week and compression was made with the carbon baked on top of the piston.

bashfulbro, Jan 18, 8:45pm
The WOF is only a piece of paper, wether it`s valid for 6 months or 3 years,is irrelevant , it won`t be long before there are designated squads, out there, randomly stopping and checking that vehicles are safe, with a whole range of fines,if they're not.
As with trucks now. i can go today and get a new COF for my truck,then on the way home, i can be stopped at a CVIU weigh bridge, be checked over, and my truck written off the road, for any number of reasons.
Vehicles must be kept safe by the owners,the piece of paper on the window means nothing, ( other than it cost you $50 a year, instead of $100 )

bashfulbro, Jan 18, 8:48pm
You are onto it, the very reason for the change. there`s more money to be made in fines.

laspaz, Jan 18, 8:50pm
You are not considering the time and inconvenience of obtaining the extra Wof extra year. It's not just a financial cost, it's the hassle involved.

franc123, Jan 18, 9:17pm
Which was one of the more marketable advantages when these reforms were being drafted. There was very little argument for retaining 6 month WOFs for over 6yo vehicles, something the MTA realised all too well at the end!

slarty45, Jan 18, 9:46pm
How much are people paying for a 1 year WOF these days?

me at local garage, car $60, trailer $60

laspaz, Jan 18, 10:02pm
Me in the last week, local garage, car $50, trailer $30. Local VTNZ were wanting $37 for a trailer.

bones3477, Aug 4, 2:14pm
Car $60, Trailer $45