WWYD? Newer? or Lower KMs?

saltness, Oct 17, 7:50am
Looking to buy a new car, would you go with a newer model (say 2012) with high kms (say 120,000) or an older model (say 2007) with lower kms (say 70,000)?

My thoughts are newer model with higher kms and proof of frequent services but DP says go for the older one.

franc123, Oct 17, 8:12am
What is the vehicle?

saltness, Oct 17, 8:38am
Outlander/RAV4 etc

a.woodrow, Oct 17, 7:45pm
All other things being equal between the cars I would go for the newer one. There's no right or wrong answer, it's really a matter of preference and opinion. Neither km's are high enough to make a difference reliability wise

tony9, Oct 17, 8:41pm
Drive them both. Which one feels best?

stevo2, Oct 17, 9:22pm
If the 07 and 12 are the same car, ie no upgrades or facelift, then I would go for the lower km model. If there has been an upgrade during those years, the newer one should be the better car.
Overall condition makes a difference as well.
Both should have many years left in them.

tamarillo, Oct 18, 4:21am
I'm with Stevo, if all else being equal lower ks. But I doubt all else is equal and the newer models might have significant improvements.
Plus, if a 2-3 yr old car has higher miles it may have done lots of open road driving which is far less harmful to car than short journeys in city traffic.

kazbanz, Oct 18, 4:30am
saltness given both cars are same vehicle-rav 4 etc then it comes down to YOU.
The correct answer depends on the buyer.
little old lady doing 5000-8000 a year Id suggest newer car.
Sales rep doing 30000k a year then the lower k car.
Then theres how long you intend to keep the car.
So average person doing 14k a year intending to keep for a year or two -mehh go for newer car.
Intending to keep the car for a fair few years -Older car because residual value really doesn't matter.

cassina1, Oct 19, 4:45am
The more ks a car has done the looser the steering becomes ie you can turn the steering wheel from side to side slightly without any change of direction.

fordcrzy, Oct 19, 4:53am
a lease car that has loads of kms in a short period of time shows that the car is always needed on the road and often the services get negected and are WAAAAAAY overdue because they cant get the thing to be off the road when required. speaking from experience

a.woodrow, Oct 19, 4:59am
Haha funny. I hope you're just trolling.

tamarillo, Oct 19, 5:16am
My experience s opposite, that servicing is a condition of lease so gets done well.
Guess shows you need to see the service book!

bryshaw, Oct 19, 5:25am
Very low mileage can also mean lots less wear, and if the service record is genuine like from a franchise, then I would opt for the lower.

fordcrzy, Oct 19, 5:26am
i know several of our work cars went 5000-9000 over thier service due kms.

beno, Oct 21, 12:19am
pick the new one. It will have the latest technology and will be have had any fault from the previous models sorted. Most cars nowadays will show very slight wear at 120k and should be good for 250K before anything major goes wrong. most mechanical wear is on start up so the higher mileage suggests longer trips and less starts. and nobody ever says "I should have bought the old one"

richardmayes, Oct 21, 3:56am
The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Drive both, buy the one that "feels better". If they are both the same model it will be immediately apparent which one is in better condition.

[Our 14 year old, 170,000km Falcon bought earlier this year is (touch wood) quite a nice car. The OTHER 14 year old, 170,000km Falcon we tried on the same day was a flogged-out wreck that needed a fortune spending on it to make it right. Generalisations about age, model and condition would have been of no use whatsoever in determining which one to buy. You've got to take it around the block, and then out on the highway a bit!]

tgray, Jan 15, 5:32pm
I have debated this with friends many a time.
Personally, I would rather a three year old 2012 car with 120k than an 8 year old one with 70k, any day.
I think 5 years newer is more desirable than the difference of another 50k's on the clock would make.