Stop Sign

mrscat, Oct 20, 7:59pm
The parking area I use attached to the mall has a Stop painted on the ground at the exit area. No post with sign. Got me thinking if this was legal and could you be ticketed for not stopping. Just add, in my day, a stop sign meant you had to stop all 4 wheels and I still do that to this day.

tony9, Oct 20, 8:06pm
I assume the sign is intended for traffic exiting the car park?

If so, the sign can only be advisory and not a legal public road sign. Police would have no jurisdiction over it.

tigra, Oct 20, 9:03pm
^^^^ This but search the car park area for more signs about the possibility of you receiving a fine for not obeying it. Anyway why wouldnt you obey it -its obviously been put there for a reason.

tintop, Jan 17, 12:23am
Unless the sign is the correct size, mounted on a white post, and there are no other signs attached to that post, and a yellow limit line and the word 'STOP' is painted on the road surface ( where practicable) it does not comply with the requirements.

Further - if the control has not been authorised by resolution of the road controlling authority it has no legal meaning.

Note that a white post with a STOP sign attached can be legal in some circumstances without any road markings. Road markings on their own is not.

But for the sake of avoiding misunderstanding with other road users - it is probably a good idea to stop and give way to others if the situation calls for it.