Whats Double Din?

gazzat22, Sep 5, 1:29am
I,m looking at replacing radio/cd in a 2008 Toyota Blade.Existing one is all in japanese and crappy.I can figure out the size replacement one required but whats a Double Din I presume Plug and Play is a common connection for all toyotas. thanks

lk104, Sep 5, 1:32am
It is the size of the unit, single DIN is 180 x 50 mm panel or double DIN 180 x 100 mm panel size.

bigmacnfries, Sep 5, 1:36am
Listing #: 942510871 is a Toyota Double Din Unit.

richardmayes, Sep 5, 1:51am
Double din: Two stereos, twice as much din.

intrade, Sep 5, 1:54am
din is normally "deutsche industrie norm" = d i n
means german industrial code
thats what the din = on car battery

gazzat22, Sep 5, 2:17am
Thank you all very much I think i will leave the fitting to a professional.

tintop, Sep 5, 2:31am
twice as noisy ?

kazbanz, Sep 5, 2:52am
matey -the radio in any Toyota is actually TOYOTA double din. In simple terms is about 20mm wider than a "normal " radio.
Install in a blade is an absolute doddle. The hardest part is getting the trim to start coming loose on the left side.
It took me about 20 minutes total to pluck the radio from a blade and fit a kiwi single din with pocket under and side trims. -To be clear though--I use "extention cords" rather than cutting the wires which speeds to process up a lot,

tamarillo, Sep 5, 4:20am
As Kaz said Toyota double din is different size to any other. But there are plenty of Toyota double din units for sale, just make sure it's an NZ one for full radio coverage. If you get Toyota unit it will plug and play. I used one of these;http://www.trademe.co.nz-
/motors/car-stereos/cd-players-
/other/auction-941753013.htm
Or, you can but fascia kits to fill in the space and fit a standard single din unit. You will then need a wiring adaptor kit. Both of these are available here or try edsauto.co.nz who can sell you everything needed.
Simplest route is just buy an NZ Toyota unit.

countrypete, Sep 5, 4:24am
two mothers in law.

lookoutas, Sep 5, 5:21am
That's what I get when my neighbours crank up the sounds.
In fact - it can even be treble din.

Looks like OP got some good answers tho.

kazbanz, Sep 5, 5:41am
Actually on this subject.
This week I had two real headscratchers that caught me out.
First was a 2005 Toyota funcargo. I fitted a Toyota double din radio in to in and went to button it up. Darn trim wouldn't fit.Closer look and it was set up with a standard double trim.
Then the very next day I had a 2006 Suzuki Swift. Bolted in a single din with pocket under it. again went to zip it up and there was a Toyota size space at the ends. Never seen either before

gazzat22, Sep 7, 1:24am
So basically if i buy a Toyota NZ radio/cd like the listing, once i get it out its a simple case of plugging it in to the existing wiring,screwing it in and voila music.Super. !

kazbanz, Sep 7, 2:14am
gassat--to be honest it would be quicker to install it that it takes to type this out.

tamarillo, Sep 7, 2:43am
Yes.
With a disclaimer that there is some weird shit on imports and it might have been mucked around with already.

gazzat22, Sep 8, 12:24am
Not labouring the point but i rang an old friend who made a phone call or 2 and was told a unit from an NCP90 Yaris is the one,the standard corolla unit is an nre or g 152 and will plug in ok but not quite fit.It was suggested best thing was to put a new unit in for much the same price.Any 2nd hand one would be Quote " a pig in a poke" Cheers Gents,have a good day.

kazbanz, Sep 8, 12:41am
gazzat-I hear what your mate is saying. But to counter that Ive installed a LOT of the Toyota Head units and I only had an issue with one.That turned out to be a misunderstanding.They couldn't get their phone to charge from the USB port but on investigation the USB port wasn't a phone charger.
I guess the thing is. A) Grab an aftermarket head unit of ok quality for around $100,Add a pocket and side trims for $30 ish. Either cut and splice into the loom or grab auxillary looms for $30 a side -so that's $190.00
Its a BIT of foobarring around. but not a lot
OR B) grab a factory unit that bolts straight in for $160.00
The part about a ZZE?NRE etc unit not boltng in isn't something Ive encountered.
Incidently the Blade is also Aurus which is also NZ corolla.
REALLY frustrating conversation this gazzat- Theres an odvious suggestion I could make to you but it seems like self promotion.

kazbanz, Sep 8, 12:51am
Just for the record -theres a fulla in westy land --he don\t sell radios -sells cars doh. he would most likely for the cost of a coffee help a fella from dahhn sarf sort out his radio problems.
He probably has access to a decent radio supplier so that the sarf side fulla could pick wot he wanted an the westy fulla could show him wats wat

gazzat22, Sep 8, 2:20am
Thanks Kaz,i appreciate your patience and experience but just want to make sure I,m not being b. sd.Some of the guys that sell things on TM ,would say anything to get a sale,i know you,re not one of them and if i lived a bit closer would come and see you and knock on the door with my elbows if you get my drift!

kazbanz, Jul 21, 3:37am
Just do it matey- The radio shop is open 7 days a week.