Blown head gasket or turbos! Or something else

vinbeazil, Nov 20, 6:34am
I have a 2000 Subaru Legacy B4 Twin Turbo that I stupidly let my brother in law use to pick up my husband. He said he was driving (probably fast) when it cut out all of a sudden. There was oil every where! It has come out of the exhaust (I think it is oil, looks like it any way) and is all over the engine and under the bonnet. There was no water in it when I checked after we got it home, but I filled it less then 2 weeks ago. My husband filled the water again and there is something leaking out under the car but we can't see from where. The oil that is left in the engine is a milky brown colour, there is still quite a bit in there though. The car will not start at all now. We haven't been able to get it to a mechanic yet but so far people we know have said its one of the above. Any ideas! If it is either of the two above what are the repair costs like, would it even be worth fixing or better to sell of as is to someone who knows how to fix it. It was in really good condition before this.

wellabolla, Nov 20, 6:39am
Milky oil usually is mixed water/oil.=blown head gasket or cracked head
oil out of the exhaust usually points to blown turbo/turbos but for it to be that bad there must have been plumes and plumes of smoke out of the exhaust
cheap fix would be another motor from trade-me
otherwise be prepared for a pretty hefty repair bill

vinbeazil, Nov 20, 6:40am
Oh dear :( Its really not our year! Any ideas on how much! LIke more then $2K!

my3kidstac, Nov 20, 6:42am
Yep thats pretty standard for that model!

vinbeazil, Nov 20, 6:48am
Yeah, I haven't heard good things about them but too late now I guess! Was fun while it lasted.

wellabolla, Nov 20, 7:16am
What a load of S@#T.we have always had turbo subarus and the worst issue was an air flow meter.keep them serviced and they will look after you.Anyway back to the issue.ya really need to get it to a shop for a check up.if its "bad" then scan trade-me for a motor
i guess.really up to you,

mrfxit, Nov 20, 7:49pm
Pretty std for most Subaru boxer engines of any model.
Well known for .
Good performance/ good handling
Blown head gaskets/ turbos

mrfxit, Nov 20, 7:52pm
Quickest solution is a replacement engine but an uncertain life span.
Best option for a replacement is from a reputable importer with proven good warrentys
Most expensive option would very likely be to get it pulled apart & rebuilt / might be a surprise & be cheap . not often tho.

drew2009, Nov 20, 7:58pm
If you can't drop new motor in yourself it will likely be very expensive, couple of grand at least installed.
If you don't have mechanical experience then your better to just scrap it and get a new one.

jsbike, Nov 20, 8:02pm
wrong an all counts if you say its across the board of S models. the 1500cc boxer is SLOOOOOOOOW as hell, but very reliable, doesnt blow head gaskets. OP's one is toast though.

mrfxit, Nov 21, 12:05am
LOL soooo they are no good at "Good performance/ good handling" but are good for not blowing head gaskets & turbos . LOL

rbjz, Nov 21, 12:43am
my 96 GTB legacy did the exact same thing, air flow meter had packed up causing car to run lean, had melted a piston and blown head gaskets, engine had blown out dip stick out and covered engine in oil, also excessive exhaust smoke ect, at the time i was driving the car harder then average, hope that helps

vinbeazil, Nov 21, 1:32am
A mechanic came to look this morning and it is defiantly a blown head gasket and pretty bad by the looks of it (he said something about been able to see a hole/s in the engine! I didn't understand that part.) Because it was my brother in law who was driving it, my mother in law is going to cover the repair bill so we are getting a new engine next week for around $4k (engine, fitted with new temp gauge, oil filter). I really like the car so I am happy with that but I am not going to keep it for too much longer after this.

ashwattau, Mar 23, 3:13pm
4 grand! Is that new as in freshly unpacked from a crate off the boat from subaru japan, or second-hand!