Class 1 Weight limits

romulan7, Nov 21, 2:16am
Unsure on how accurate this is so may be just another rumour unless someone can shed some accuracy to this.

Class 1 weights to increase to 6,000kg from the existing 4,500kg next year!No idea when or if this is an actual happening.

skyline_guy_r34, Nov 21, 2:20am
I thought the current limit was 3500kgs!

crzyhrse, Nov 21, 3:49am

romulan7, Nov 21, 6:49am
cheers crzyhorse seems at the same time you informed skyline of what the rules are at present.That change is going to be a game player for many in that weight category all because of the fisherman.

thejazzpianoma, Nov 21, 6:52am
The date it changes is a little bit amusing.

mrfxit, Nov 21, 7:17am
Thats not the only thing thats a bit odd to understand

a motor vehicle (including a tractor but excluding a motorcycle) that has a gross laden weight of not more than 4 500 kg, or a combination vehicle that has a gross combined weight of not more than 4 500 kg

(b) a motorised mobile home or self-propelled caravan that has a gross laden weight of not more than 6 000 kg, provided its on-road weight does not exceed 4 500 kg

(c) a tradeperson's vehicle that has a gross laden weight of not more than 6 000 kg, provided its on-road weight does not exceed 4 500 kg

romulan7, Nov 21, 7:50am
Not really it is the start of the new financial year also the date was the reason the change of the junction give way rules changed to 25th March!To avoid anyone thinking it was a prank.

Great for me knowing that from the 1st April next year we can employ someone without a class 2 to drive one of the vehicles we have.Means I get more weekends off :)

romulan7, Nov 21, 7:54am
mrfixit, it will be interesting to say the least.At present one of the Transit Vans used for school runs requires a Class 2 because of the number of seats.So it will be interesting to see what impact the rising of weights has on the Passenger Endorsement requirements.

mrfxit, Nov 21, 8:00am
It's this bit >>>>>
"gross laden weight of not more than 6 000 kg, provided its on-road weight does not exceed 4 500 kg "

So which is it!
6T off road doesn't matter for a licence (it's OFF road)
4.5T on road . yea thats clear enough presuming thats gross & not just the load .
Which is which . my heads hurting

smac, Nov 21, 8:10am
mrfxit, gross laden weight is the manufacturers rating for how heavy that vehicle can be when loaded. Think of it as the chassis rating (in effect).

SO you can drive a vehicle RATED to 6000kg, as long as not over 4500kg if you drove it onto the scales.

crzyhrse, Nov 21, 9:47am
Not really. GLW is it's maximum weight permitted for the vehicle when fully loaded. It's not necessarily always loaded to that on the road and as long as a vehicle with a GLW that was either a motorhome or a tradesperson's vehicle remained under 4 500kg when driven on a Class 1, it was legal.

romulan7, Nov 21, 10:09am
I look at it this way you drive something big get a class 2 .It would be fair to say anything big would have 4 wheels on the rear axle.
At least that way you have been tested to drive that size vehicle so should have some ability to drive a light truck.
Some irony with the European car licence covering up to 7500kgs that we have slowly risen in the last 5 years from 3500kgs to 6000kgs, I give it another 5 years and it will be the same.

Then again I just looked up the UK licencing and if you get confused by NZ simple sytem you will be in serious trouble understanding the UK system, no wonder the DVLA is based in Wales.

crzyhrse, Nov 21, 10:10am
And 'kingfisher21' was on crack!

sas777, Nov 21, 11:52am
Romulan, not sure about the 7 1/2 tonne vehicle weight limit being Europe wide, but as a UK resident I could drive up to that weight on my licence as I passed test before 1991; people passing after that date are restricted to the tachograph threshold - 4 1/2 tonnes.
Can't really agree on arguement of relative complexity of UK driver and vehicle licensing regulations. UK has huge population, faster road speeds, major traffic density and heaps of overseas drivers. I managed the beaurocracy fine - only when I came to NZ and built up a housetruck did the quagmire of ambiguous claptrap and complete nonsense drive me totally potty

mike77, Nov 21, 11:37pm
I think it sounds like a good idea,
Tradie, requires a larger size vehicle for large bulk, but light loads, can get a larger size truck with a GVM of 6000kgs - better brakes, engine etc, but as long as the weight of the vehicle stays under 4500kgs.
Also it means the apprentice or new boy can take the truck down the road to get a few extra lengths, without him requiring a class 2.

mrfxit, Mar 26, 10:03pm
Sorry yea, should have known that, not doing all that well at night this month, which buggers the day a bit.

So really, nothing much has changed in the amount of weight