Mileage costs

clr26, Nov 21, 4:26am
Does anyone know if there is a legal requirement for your employer to pay you mileage costs at a certain rate. I know the IRD says 74cents but it also says you can charge the aa rates. Anyone know the aa rates!

sebastian55, Nov 21, 7:32am
My experiences is each employer has given different rates. One created their own rates. Current employer! Flob knows.

poppajn, Nov 21, 10:53pm
I get 28 cents a k from the DHB.,it,s ok, pays for the fuel.

crzyhrse, Nov 21, 10:57pm
They can pay you whatever they like - the IRD mileage rate is only for determining what is considered fair for the purpose of a non taxable reimbursement - payments over that may be taxable if it cannot be demonstrated that they are justified.

Your employment contract determines what you'll actually be paid for vehicle expenses. If there's no clause in relation to this then you should negotiate one.

crzyhrse, Nov 21, 10:59pm

socram, Mar 27, 3:10pm
I have charged clients 80c for years now.

A lot depends on the amount of use.Simple example:100% business use therefore all costs claimable, includes rego, warrants, depreciation, insurance, repairs and maintenance and fuel costs divided by mileage at 50,000kms a year.

Same carat 5,000kms a year, same rego, warrant, depreciation (almost), insurance but lesser amount for fuel and servicing, is still going to cost a lot more per km.

In other words, as per earlier post - by negotiation.If you refused to use your car, would they pay for a taxi or a hire car or provide a company vehicle!All more expensive options than using yours!