Does this 1996 'Vette need to be converted to RHD

les6, Nov 21, 8:12am
laws have been changed,do your research,the ltsa site has all the info.

socram, Nov 21, 8:12am
Send me an email townie.

Stepson has just brought one in.He bought it in the States last year, (he was over there assessing a boat for a customer!); left it in Fort Lauderdale and went back this year; drove over to LA and had it shipped back from there.It arrived last week and is currently at compliancing. (MAF or customs apparently just ripped off the door interior panels wrecking all the clips, but apart from that, all OK.)
I haven't seen it as yet but I think it is a 1995 model.If OK, I'll pass on your contact details, but he is overseas at the moment.

neville48, Nov 21, 8:18am
new law says that it has to be a special interest potential collecter car if under 20 years old, I think you are supposed to get a written note from 3 people from 3 recognised car clubs that state this is a special, collectible vehicle and when accepted can be vinned still in LHD form.cool.

townie55, Nov 21, 8:30am
Thanks.The thing is I just can't see a 1996 corvette being deemed a special, collectable vehicle.

terry77.ta, Nov 21, 8:48am
Hi, tell a Scoda owner that! there was a article in Classic Car magazine where sum1 asked wot deemed a car `Special Interest` Collectable`(there publication is listed by LTSA as an approved apraiser) there reply was that they deemed EVERY car special & collectable, as we all no, wots 1`s trash is anothers dream machine!

franc123, Nov 21, 9:38am
Does anyone else find this whole scenario laughable!Its bureaucrats creating a special litttle minefield that doesn't even need to exist, LHD cars are either dangerous to operate on our roads or they aren't!I don't see what age has got to do with it or its collectibility status, getting someones opinion from a car club is hilarity in itself, you are hardly going to get any sort of neutral opinion from an enthusiast of a particular brand or specific model.Even if a very limited number were produced it doesn't automatically make it special or collectable, say if I was to import a Passion Pink LHD 1997 Chev Cavalier that only 14 were made will that be exempt from conversion!Its ridiculous IMO.

kcf, Nov 21, 8:00pm
Do not listen to that advice it is horribly incorrect.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/app-cat-a-lhd-permit/docs/app-cat-a-lhd-permit.pdf http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/app-recognition-siv/docs/app-recognition-siv.pdf
you will need both of the above permits on a 96.The permit application forms tell you pretty much exactly what you need to know.

mk3zephyr, Nov 21, 8:29pm
since you are in Auckland give Bunce motor company a yell over on the North Shore they do left to right hand drive up in that part of NZ so they should know or if they cant help ring/email eagle automotive in Taranaki those guys will certainly be able to tell you

sas777, Nov 22, 5:57am
Completely agree 100%
Ever since coming over to NZ it has amazed and baffled me why the officialdom takes things like LHD so seriously. In the UK, with it's huge population and traffic issues, the worst thing about LHD is an insurance loading of maybe ten percent. And no-one bats an eye at overseas registered vehicles, which number literally millions over there. Also Japan, which has a similar land area and a population of 128 million, encourages LHD cars as status symbols.
NZ seriously needs to get its motoring laws cleaned up, cleaned out and rationalised.