Fishfinder which one

spoutman, Nov 21, 10:59am
hi any help with choosing a reasonable fishfinder would be great currently running an eagle jus a cheapie as soon as i start the engine theres fish galore gota be picking up the bubbles right so need one that will work right any advice would be great thanks

ralphdog1, Nov 21, 11:31am
How and where is the transducer mounted on your current one!
It maybe possible to sort that rather than buy another.

spoutman, Nov 21, 7:06pm
lower stern!

sr2, Nov 21, 7:30pm
I had a similar problem with my Hummingbird GPS/Fishfinder. I moved the transducer away from the outboard to the side of the transom and it now works perfectly. Have you checked you haven't got the sensitivity wound up too high, it could produce the same problem!

rsr72, Nov 21, 7:36pm
#1- Your transducer is too close to the keel and prop!
Should be about midway up between the keel and the chine, or a little less. Mount it so it's horizontal, not in line with a bottom strake, and level with the passing water at speed -(half in, half out).
I have found my new Lowrance HDS broadband plotter/finder excellent and all the makers have now got all these new technology units on the market. Garmin and Eagle prices not bad, and, if buying new, go for the largest screen you can afford.

rob_man, Nov 21, 8:35pm
My Eagle cheapie is giving problems, there's big gaps in the display screen. I don't know if it's caused by the transducer or not but if I was to replace the sounder would I have to change the transducer! Assuming that it's the sounder at fault.

spoutman, Nov 22, 4:49am
yeah thanks guys lol have turned the sensor up high duh! Havent a manual and never used one b4

alan1111, Nov 22, 5:58am
Got a Eagle 360c Elite gps/fishfinder combo just a cheaper version of a lowrance after all made in same factory. Had mine 3 years now never missed a beat love it. Play around with it when out on the water you can always do a restore back to factory settings if you really cock it up.

rob_man, Nov 22, 6:47am
Not very clear, what I mean is will a different brand of sounder use the same transducer without having to fit a new one!

xs1100, Nov 22, 8:00am
have had a eagle on my boat for a couple years and absolutley no problems at all sounds like you are to close to motor

bigracket, Nov 22, 8:15am
take the transducer off the transom and sikaflex it to the inside of the hull about amidships

bigracket, Nov 22, 8:16am
Don't even need to drill a hole.

rsr72, Mar 31, 10:45am
#1- Your transducer is too close to the keel and prop!
Should be about midway up between the keel and the chine, or a little less. Mount it so it's horizontal, not in line with a bottom strake, and level with the passing water at speed -(half in, half out).
I have found my new Lowrance HDS broadband plotter/sonar excellent and all the makers have now got all these new technology units on the market. Garmin and Eagle prices not bad, and, if buying new, go for the largest screen you can afford.
Prices! - all makes are well over-priced on the NZ market unfortunately.