Gunhand and rob_man.

gunhand, Nov 21, 7:17am
Cant argue with that. Looks pretty good to me. was it an R1 you were doing! I remember someone asking about R1 colours but that dont look like an R1 tank. Tanks are a pain in the butt to do, bit like minis lol. You will regret not buffing it so you should. Get hold of a mini buffer and you cant go wrong.

gunhand, Nov 21, 7:56am
We used a bluepoint one, got it cheapish off snap on.There are one or two about if you look but there not thick on the ground. You can use the mini sanders(like this 332669253 ) as long as you turn the air down and can adapt it to take a velcro backing pad. I always used worn out buffing pads for the pads, just cut them to a suitable diameter thats all.But you need a reasonable air supply to run them. I wouldnt be without one now and they are great on cars, ie A and C pillers and other awkward places to get the big polisher into.

rob_man, Nov 21, 8:11am
Looks pretty spick to me, the colour doesn't actually have to be perfect does it!
Those mini buffs are bloody handy, there are cheap ones available. We got ours from Colourworks up here. Farecla make small foamies for them.

gunhand, Nov 21, 8:22am
NEVER NEVER beleive anyone when they say "as long as it close enough" what they really mean is, if you dont get it perfect ill moan and groan about it till you repaint it. Get it in writing as they deny ever saying it LOL.

budgel, Nov 22, 12:35am
Nice job.
How did you do the stripe! Did you mask for it!

rob_man, Nov 22, 3:18am
3mm fineline tape at a guess.

lookoutas, Nov 22, 4:46am
Why do it for stuff-all!
Only Panelbeaters work for that!

gunhand, Nov 22, 5:13am
Tanks are a pain. there small fiddley and any fault shows up esaily. Its hard to tell someone there tank might cost $400 plus dollers to paint. Most say "its just a tank!"But most modern bikes are candy or layered pearls and matching is a reeeal pain as in one light it looks ok then another it dosent. One extra layer of the pearl or candy can ruin it same as one less. And there is little info about the colours and application as well. In some cases its easier to just paint all the panels to ensure a match.
Any fluffy line on a stripe shows up as well more so on a huge area like a car.Tanks take time patients and talant (pearls etc) to do.
Polishing is easy enough if the tank is on a solid platform and can be moved about to reach all angles.
Youve done well attitude, its good to see someone put there money where there mouth is so to speak.

rob_man, Mar 28, 4:46pm
That looks pretty bloody close to me, kudos.
On the subject of pricing, a guy who used to do pretty much all of the insurance bike paint repairs in NZ had a simple price regime. 50% of the price of a new painted part, take it or leave it.
If the price of a new tank was $1200, he would charge $600 for painting.