I Almost Crashed Into An Ambulance Today

zephyrheaven, Jan 17, 8:05am
I consider myself to be a pretty good driver - very cautious & aware of my surroundings - so a guy stopped dead at a green light a block from me made me think - poor buggers broken down, ah well - and looking up theres a bloody ambo in the way! What happened to an audible siren & lights that catch the eye - I honestly watched this thing drive thru the intersection & basically wouldnt have seen / heard it till too late.
If this is a new rig - St John need to go & give it to someone with some brains in installing LED's & side firing sirens

gunhand, Jan 17, 8:30am
all the new ones have LEDs on the side but no side firing sirens. Did you see the other LEDs on or were they all off!
Trust me it dosent matter what you have going people can still miss you.

zephyrheaven, Jan 17, 8:34am
Orange LED's doing SFA behind a 6pm sky on Moorhouse Ave - thats a recipe for a crashing Id say

Weirdly - I saw the roadies truck about 6 blocks away near hagley with the spinning LED's hmmmm

gunhand, Jan 17, 8:37am
Orange! never seen one with orange LEDs apart from indicators at the back. It was a St John one!

zephyrheaven, Jan 17, 8:41am
Yep - looked rubbish from the sides I tell you that , my family have been in EMS for years I know what looks eye catching & what doesnt, that vehicle is an accident in itself waiting to happen

ola_bitchola1, Jan 17, 9:03am
leds are so dam effective in 1 work vehicle we have the standard twin rotating orange beacons no 1 pays attention to them. yet another with a led light bar ive had cars pull over for me

bigjerry, Jan 17, 9:37am
I came over a brow the other day and saw an ambulance on the left so i slowed right down as i thought it could have been a delicate situation. it was a bus with the ass end of an ambulance painted on the back.

ola_bitchola1, Dec 31, 12:51pm
that ones caught me off guard too a few times