Volvos

Page 2 / 2
thejazzpianoma, Jan 17, 8:41am
Might be worth trying them on price alone though. For example a Fram filter for my Mercedes from BNT is nearly $90 I think the last one was about $15 or so from Startech. and it was a genuine Mercedes boxed one.

Just a thought, and sorry you Toyota guys are copping it a bit in this thread!

gtrmotorsport, Jan 17, 8:41am
They are not bad at all to do the cover comes off with one bolt and is held down with the spark plug cover.only thing to be supa carefull of is the series engine with the thermostat housing behind the timing cover and a little plastic pipe comes out of the cover tey break and that ads extra expense. Its the price of doing it thats the big point not much change out of $1200 paying someone to do it.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 17, 8:44am
Not Bosch and a lack of complication is starting to paint a picture. I really must try a newer Honda again soon.
I really liked the Kiwi new ones before the pop up headlights cam along but got a bit disillusioned (except for the last of the Kiwi ones again) after that.

tim8069, Jan 17, 8:46am
Not from my experience, they tend to worry more if something goes wrong, because they expect it won't.In the event that it does, I must say they are usually quite easy to rectify, with the exception of expensive rodent damage, water damage, blown or corroded 1992-1996 camry/windom head gaskets, cooked 1KZ-TE's or filling a common rail diesel with petrol and driving it until it stops.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 17, 8:46am
Dude. everyone needs a Multipla!
Tell you what if you wanted a car you could really have faith in that would be it. But practicality aside its going to look as austere as the C word next to the Volvo.

I think you need one of each.

gtrmotorsport, Jan 17, 8:46am
Mmm thats dam sexy .
Umm a 740! XC70 only thing that i have had issues with are the model with the HID headlamps they some how get water in the lamp and stuffs Hid module but if you are carefull you can pull them apart and replace it other wise its a new lamp for 2.7k

thejazzpianoma, Jan 17, 8:49am
Interesting, I find it a lot with the Hilux/Hiace crowd.
I have have come across some very outspoken ones in this group who bang on about economy and reliability yet I know for a fact they have had head replacements (perhaps thats why they forgot!LOL) and what economy and service intervals they are getting.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 17, 8:52am
I like how we can have a realistic and balanced discussion about this kind of stuff nowadays. A couple of years ago a thread like this would have just been full of stupid wives tales and unqualified generalisations.

I am all for hearing the bad as well as the good (I don't want to get stuck with a lemon or see anyone else stuck with one) , its just nice to know what's said has some basis and balance.

jcwholesale, Jan 17, 8:53am
I am sure if it is an S series many of the electrical components you have pointed out will be common to all models of S series, so I think that is a bit of a generalization and they just happened to be T6's. What about the Benz looms that just desintergrate. The common ABS fault on Commodores that has allthe warning lights on the dash come on. Honda accord ABS is a major issue, $1000.00 to fix and very common. I could go on. The point is all cars have common and sometimes expensive faults.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 17, 8:54am
Do you know which model and year exactly! I would like to compare to the US pricing to see if this is just a NZ problem or not.

gtrmotorsport, Jan 17, 8:57am
Volvo really stepped up the the XC yes they do appear to run the same stuff as other previous models but they have got alot of electrical problems sussed especially with the electronic thottle body issues they had and ecu tolerances.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 17, 8:57am
Depends what you are doing, I meant practical more in the sense they were very low/cheap maintenance as well as versatile. Can't argue for offroad, camping and skiing.

But I would happily take the multipla for City manouvering, 6 people or carting bikes and people etc.

Horses for courses. and if they cost the same to run and maintain. hang yes! I would take the Volvo every time, probably would anyway if I wasn't so poor at the moment!

phillip.weston, Jan 17, 8:58am
Interesting, 9/10 of the cars in the top 10 are Japanese, 9/10 of the cars in the bottom 10 are European, and the other one is American. Go figure. Just face it, no matter what continent you are in, Japanese cars are the way to go for reliability.

tim8069, Jan 17, 9:01am
Jazz,
It is good to see a cool temperatured thread haha. Yeah I know what you mean there, "oh its been a great car, had no problems at all, had a really good run" but you know well theyve spent upwards of 5k doing the head, the front diff, universal joints, front CV's. We do all our diesel toyotas on 7500 intervals these days, no more 5k/10k, mainly because toyota took the extra line off the service stickers! haha. Plus most people on 5k/10k bring it in between 7.5k and 10k anyway

gtrmotorsport, Jan 17, 9:03am
Racking my noggin here belive it was a 05 XC70. in saying that there are other model volvos with HId that suffer the same problem. but i dont want to start generalizing here

thejazzpianoma, Jan 17, 9:04am
Sure. except when you really look hard at individual models and ratings you start to see that the vast majority of modern cars are all very reliable. Often very little separates them, plus just because say Toyota have one model in the top section does not stop other models of theirs being well down the list.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 17, 9:05am
Will have a look sometime when I am bored. Thanks!

thejazzpianoma, Jan 17, 9:09am
I am hearing much the same about the 7.5K service intervals down here, and that's fine. I just chuckle because so many times I have been digged at by my mates who run them, telling me how expensive servicing must be for my European vans.

It sort of dies off or they just don't believe me when I used to say. well actually an oil change is about $100 and the service interval on this diesel is 20'000km and that one is 30'000km.

tim8069, Jan 17, 9:17am
Yeah thats quite amazing, is it a special type of oil! Obviously not too special if its $100, Agip CRDi! Thats a well priced synthetic oil suitable for common rails even with particulate filters.Or just shear trust in the engine!Do they have good warranty cover!I suppose the Fiat Ducato being front drive has transaxle, so no diff oil to change, or expensive rear axle seal leaks.

carkitter, Jan 17, 9:21am
If you mean the pre-98 high pressure ABS systems then it's not a fault it's lack of proper maintenance. No problems with the later low pressure systems that I know of as Honda pre-empted the maintenance issue by making it idiot-proof.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 18, 12:09am
Ducato's and the bigger commercials are still on the 20K changes as far as I am aware. The Multipla, Doblo etc have the 30K.

Castrol Edge or equivalent is generally the go, only just over 4 litres to change and the genuine oil filters are pretty cheap. Been a few years now so might be a few more dollars today but wouldn't expect much more.

I think its a lot to do with how clean running the engine is. I am not sure how they do it but the oil remains very clean. I suppose when you have had those engines in the market for 15 years you have a fairly good idea of how they wear too. The revised one with the timing chain is designed for only filter and fluid changes, nothing else to touch (engine wise) until 250'000km. Thats only just into its 8th oil change!

craig04, Jan 2, 5:14pm
I was actually pre-empting Jazzs' reply regarding the reliability of the Corolla. He usually says when cars have no features, they will of course be reliable. My comment was tongue in cheek.