Satnavs

27rose27, Nov 22, 2:21am
Any one recommend a good one (brand) for around 2 hundy, or are they all similar!

trdbzr, Nov 22, 2:24am
All brands are pretty similar, just get a good brand eg Navman, Tomtom, Garmin, Uniden. I have seen the cheap chinese ones on here but have no idea how accurate and reliable they are.

db.price, Nov 22, 3:20am
My Tom Tom is good.Although if I was buying one now would seriously stretch my budget to the $400 mark and get the Garmin one - they have lifetime map upgrades which could save you some $$$ in the future

franc123, Nov 22, 4:30am
I wouldn't bother at all, upgrade your mobile phone to one thats got GPS integrated, you often get free map updates as well.

fordcrzy, Nov 22, 4:41am
google maps before you set out is even cheaper! haha.
lets face it with modern phones having access to the web you can use that if you really get stuck

geoff_m, Nov 22, 7:36am
Get a Garmin - as you can get the free open source maps for them (http://www.nzopengps.org/). Beats paying half th ecost of the unit for map upgrades, and the free ones are bettere and more accurate!

aktow, Nov 22, 8:50am
i bought 3 cheaps ones off trademe, one i am using and two xmas gifts,, i have used it about a dozen times and it got me where i wanted to go to,, i find some times it sure does like going the long way, i had a expensive gps in a car i drove and i found it no better than the cheap one.

tigra, Nov 22, 8:55am
Bought a Uniden IGO43 a week ago. First it had a registered start from the middle of George St in Brisbane .that threw us a bit considering i was meant to be new and we bought it in the Hutt. Also kept dropping out the satellite. Got another one on exchange had initial settings issues but think we have it sussed now.Its has free map updates and software updates.Previously I had a Uniden Trax350 for an Aussie roadtrip and it was magic. Easy to setup and put i use immediately - I sold it when we came back to NZ. Guess I should have kept it.

sebastian55, Nov 22, 8:55am
I got a Tom Tom a few weeks back after my trusty Navman S50 started to show it's lack of updated maps after 4 years.

Looked at the ones with live traffic updates:

Navman - connect to your pc and it checks the traffic on your route. Change the route and you need pc to update the traffic again. errr what!

Tom Tom - live on the fly traffic updates.

Was simple choice when I was told that by DSE employee.

tigra, Nov 22, 8:58am
Like #7 I bought a cheapie off TM and I have to say it worked better than the new Uniden. Touch screen was faster, had miles more options, picked up satellite quicker and better.however lent it to the SiL and its not working properly anymore hence the new Uniden.

bmwnz, Nov 22, 8:59am
I bought a cheap ($70) one here, with a backing camera included in the price. I haven't installed the backing camera yet, but I've used the cheap Chinese satnav all over the NI and its been great.

davidgb, Nov 23, 9:12am
I've been using a nokia e5 for about six months (from overseas) and have never been lost while using it. Only problem was old map had roundabouts where there are now intersections, and it mispronounces road names.

r15, Apr 3, 3:41pm
any android phone runs google maps in conjunction with its internal GPS.

good luck getting lost with the power of google and maps