Cooling Sytem

cathair, Jan 18, 6:39am
After a car (petrol) has had a long journey is it better to leave it running for a few minutes to cool down or turn it off to cool down! Im not sure if the radiator would cool the car quicker or would having the engine running keep things hotter than letting it sit and cool.

clark20, Jan 18, 6:40am
Unless it's a turbo just shut it down

pandai, Jan 18, 6:40am
Depends on the nature of the long journey.Moving through the air keeps the engine cooler than sitting idling.

cathair, Jan 18, 6:43am
This is just hypothetical. Say it was from Wellington to Auckland. Free run no traffic jams. What would cool it faster!

jsbike, Jan 18, 6:49am
in theory the engine should never go over the thermostats set temp. so after it has reached its running temp, a 2 min or a 2 hour drive wont matter, it will be the same temp at the end of the drive. just turn it off.

cathair, Jan 18, 6:53am
Ah good answer!
Next question. I need 3 make and models of cars that have "crossflow radiators" can anyone help!

im_andrew, Jan 18, 6:54am
Is this in a MITO test book!

jsbike, Jan 18, 6:55am
some subaru's, a wrx i worked on one had one

cathair, Jan 18, 6:56am
Not the first question

ryans, Jan 18, 8:31am
Ford Falcon XY, XA, XB, XC (the XA, XB and XC are pretty much the same model, just different revisions)

carmedic, Jan 18, 8:50am
Virtually any modern European car??

franc123, Jan 18, 8:57am
You mean XD onwards, pre XD were all downflow, not crossflow.

cathair, Jan 18, 9:14am
thanks all!

ryans, Jan 18, 9:27am
I'm pretty sure the straight 6s with air conditioning and V8s were cross flow. The radiator fitted in my XC Fairmont is cross flow.

petermcg, Jan 6, 12:57am
Dont forget that it is not the water that cools the engine it is the air, The water is just a heat exchanger.