Generator not working

steph1211, Nov 25, 4:42am
ok i decided to charge a car battery off the 12v output it was working fine for 10min then a strong burning smell came then it shut down, i tried to restart went for 30sec now it wont start again. any one know what i have done!

mugenb20b, Nov 25, 6:47am
You forgot to check your oil and water levels.

johnn, Nov 25, 7:10am
I know exactly what you have done:
You decided to charge a car battery off the 12v output & it was working fine for 10min then a strong burning smell came then it shut down, you tried to restart, it went for 30sec now it wont start again

toyboy3, Nov 25, 7:11am
[. any one know what i have done![/quote]
you have let the smoke escape !

alan1111, Nov 25, 8:59am
Totally confused by this 1

intrade, Nov 26, 12:12am
hmmm maybe its gotten the power from its internal 12 volt that maybe also used for its ignition so now its got no power for its ignition because the smell was a fryup from the 12 volt part. check for spark and see where the power comes from and what is actuarly fryed. maybe fuse or a wire somwhere

rob_man, Nov 26, 12:54am
Did you have the battery connected the right way round!

granada, Nov 26, 1:27am
So you did the smoke test

elect70, Nov 26, 1:47am
what current was it drawingor hasnt it got an ammeter on it . Could be too much & has fried the windingsif so its kaputFirst check thefuse on the generator . Then try puting 12 v dc accross the 230v outlet for 10 seconds .

mantagsi, Nov 26, 4:05am
Is it one of those cheapy chinese two stroke generators! They do not handle any more than a weak current draw off of the 12v line, otherwise they burn out just like you describe. bad luck! (it has happened to me fwiw)

steph1211, Nov 28, 7:34am
thanks guys, no oil was fine, isnt a cheap one is a kipor $2800. still dont no the problem but must be something small

lugee, Nov 28, 7:51am
Burning smell doesn't usually equal small problem.

pdc1, Nov 28, 8:03am
google it and you will probably find a workshop manual on this. I know I came across one for a different model kipor. I dealt with the kipor nz agents down Wanaka I think and found them very helpful and parts supplied quickly and at what I thought a good price.

crzyhrse, Nov 28, 10:02pm
Why must it!

pup2, Nov 28, 10:44pm
Small fire / melt down. Not sure who sells it in nz, but this is what you need to get it going again. Cheap as chips going from memory.
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=Fv9-Q8UCEoY

elect70, Nov 29, 12:54am
Regardless of brand those little gen sets have no margin of overload , even time it takes for afuse toblowwillcook the windings. You have probably cooked the DCexciter windingwhich also supplies the ignitionCheck spark if none then its cooked

steph1211, Nov 30, 5:56am
yea riteo you would have to be anidoit to belive that

pup2, Apr 18, 8:18pm
lol if only it was that simple, have ya found any melted spots! or any thing else!