Does this sound right!

tatdeefar1, Jan 20, 9:49pm
Called an automotive electrician today because my car is an auto and is idling rough, like sounds like its guna stall. Anyway he said it sounds like something in the throttle body. He said its common in Mitsubishi pajeros. Does that sound right! I am limiting him to $100 diagnostic on Monday to figure it out. As he wouldn't give me a quote to figure out what is wrong with it. I don't know anything about cars as was just wondering if this sounded right.

twink19, Jan 20, 9:53pm
all service people charge to hook up to diagnostic scanner, as the scanner probably cost about $10,000 so need to recover costs

phillip.weston, Jan 20, 9:53pm
Hi, do you have access to a 10mm spanner or socket with 1/4" or 3/8" drive ratchet, and a rag dipped in a bit of petrol!

1fordluva, Jan 20, 9:56pm
Stopped in at mellisa2000,s place of work yesterday,they have just bought a $7000 dollar diagnostic scanner for all makes.
Very handy machine.
So you see why they have to charge!

tatdeefar1, Jan 20, 9:56pm
Can do whys that!

tatdeefar1, Jan 20, 10:02pm
So is it just dirty then!

phillip.weston, Jan 20, 10:45pm
undo the air intake hose going to the throttlebody, it is held on by a band clamp with a 10mm bolt - may need to undo from the air filter side as well and remove the intake pipe entirely. Once that's removed, manually open the throttle plate (either by pushing on the plate at the bottom or tugging on the throttle cable or twisting the pulley wheel on the outside and running the petrol soaked rag around the edges of the throttle body and throttle plate.

neville48, Jan 21, 10:11am
they are mechanics surely. they need the tools to do the job,the diagnostic machine is a tool. the presence of it brings customers in the door and if used properly can enable a job to be completed quicker and a happier return customer so why do they have to charge extra to do the job properly. its called keeping up with the times.you snooze,you lose.

ebzn3ys, Jan 21, 10:17am
gdi im guessing

franc123, Jan 21, 10:47am
wow this turned to poo very quickly.Before we start yanking on a throttle cable that might not be there, getting our fingers stuck in an ETV or possibly doing damage how about stating what model/year/engine its fitted with, whether its got Guaranteed Dollar Injection or not and how far behind we are with spark plug changes and other maintenance!

1fordluva, Jan 21, 3:23pm
1fordluva wrote:

Stopped in at mellisa2000,s place of work yesterday,they have just bought a $7000 dollar diagnostic scanner for all makes.
Very handy machine.
So you see why they have to charge!

they are mechanics surely. they need the tools to do the job,the diagnostic machine is a tool. the presence of it brings customers in the door and if used properly can enable a job to be completed quicker and a happier return customer so why do they have to charge extra to do the job properly. its called keeping up with the times.you snooze,you lose.

Quoteneville48 (237 )11:11 pm, Fri 21 Jan #11

Yes they are mechanics,dam good ones too!

thejazzpianoma, Jan 21, 9:08pm
The more you have tied up in tools the more you have to charge. Its basic business/accounting. The customer will still benefit through less hours charged out.

tatdeefar1, Jan 22, 1:06am
Spark plugs and other maintanence all up to date and sadly yes it is a gdi have a friend who is a mechanic but wont go near it (this fills me with hope lol)

carmedic, Jan 16, 9:50pm
Wouldn't give you a quote or coulden't!