'93 Telstar Timing marks

richard112, Nov 27, 2:33am
Sad, but my manual is for an earlier model. Camshaft sprocket. Manual tells me to use A, disregard B & C. Don't have A, B or C. I have a small circle 3teeth before the number 1 arrow, which is my guess, but I'd like to be sure before I put it together. That's a 2.0 litre 4 cyl common as mud telstar.

motorway, Nov 27, 2:37am
Engine designation number!

mugenb20b, Nov 27, 2:54am
FE, SOHC, 12 valve, carburetted (most likely).

saxman99, Nov 27, 3:20am
Have a look at the cam sprocket, right in the centre where it mates with the camshaft.Is there a steel pin there!On my FE engine (Econovan) that was supposed to line up with the timing mark (V shape) on the upper case cam housing when at TDC.I'll see if I can hunt a pic out for you.

richard112, Nov 27, 3:20am
Sorry. Yes. SOHC, 12 valve, carburetted.
Vehicle ID 7A5AAASABNPK58366 - Eng No 247449 - Model T47.
Urgency has gone a little, as I find I've been sent the wrong belt. As I live on Gt Barrier, that sets me back at least 3 days.

mugenb20b, Nov 27, 3:22am
Why did you pull the cam sprocket off in the first place! Were you changing an oil seal!

richard112, Nov 27, 3:51am
No, Haven't pulled the cam sprocket. Replacing the timing belt. (Belt broke, but I seem to have got away with it so far as internal damage goes)
I have the timing mark on the upper case, & the mark on the crank sprocket is no problem. Just like to verify the cam sprocket.

alan1111, Nov 27, 4:05am
Easy to sort out.
Pull nos 1 spark plug out, stick a screwdriver down hole turn crank unti screwdriver starts to go down and 1/2 way down bore.
Next turn camshaft until nos 4 is rocking ie inelet opening exhaust closing. Now look at nos 1 valves should both be closed as it is firing nos 1 cylinder.Now look at marks on camshaft pully the abc closest to top will be the mark you after and now can fine tune it to set up. But before fine tune it turn crankshaft so its marks line up.Hope this helps i must of done 500 broken belts in my time.
ps nos 1 rockers should both be loose forgot to say that i mean clearance as it is firing that cylinder.

richard112, Nov 27, 5:02am
Thanks saxman. can see that pin. Also alan1111. Should be able to work it out between the two.

mugenb20b, Nov 27, 6:00am
Hopefully yes, this engine has hydraulic lifters.

budgel, Nov 27, 6:07am
www.mazdatruckin.com/B2200/B2200_Timing_Belt.html

Shows the setup on the B2200 motor which is essentially the same.

budgel, Apr 12, 3:59am