Help me find a caaaaaar!

debulebule, Jan 22, 12:54am
I've got a week, 6k and a preference for cars with less that 150,000kms. I have my eye on a several few here. But a helping hand couldn't hurt. I'm after something with a bit of oomph. When i'm driving, it's long distance with a car load of people. Something a little fun isn't out of the question. Any ideas! Just thought I'd post this in case there's a special something I've over looked.

lyndapotty, Jan 22, 12:59am
What about a twin turbo gto!

woki, Jan 22, 1:18am
Cars that have travelled more than150kms have more experience !

thejazzpianoma, Jan 22, 1:22am
VW Passat and Audi A6 make for lovely, safe powerful (depending on engine) cruisers that are good on gas, parts are reasonable and maintenance intervals long.

If you have some patience you can pick up a 97 or newer A6 or a face lifted Passat for that money within the km's specified.

I am also tempted to suggest a Volvo, but parts are a bit more expensive.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 22, 1:31am
http://www.turners.co.nz/Vehicles/Pages/Car.aspx!RefId=848697
This sort of thing if you check it out well can be great bang for buck.

This one has a ding and is dirty so you would want to see why. It could just be someone lazy who has just bought a new one but it could also be a repossession or ex-fleet.

Checked out well though the S60 with the 5Cylender Turbo has omph for passing while still being economical for a trip. Its also one of those cars that you won't arrive tired from driving.

debulebule, Jan 22, 1:32am
I've been searching a lot of euros. Looked at s280/s320 mercs. Havn't taken the audi route yet. Might aswell have a gander though :).

akkadian, Jan 22, 4:14am
1999 K11 March.Spend the 5k you save from the buy on beer and pizza

carkitter, Jan 22, 5:32am
How about this: #346785539
Why'd you have to live at the Mount! All the best cars are in Auckland! :P

carkitter, Jan 22, 5:37am
Gee those S60's are cheap! I'm almost tempted to get one myself.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 22, 5:42am
Actually, given your location I would suggest you check this out 346368996.
The 2.4 isn't a massive rocket ship but it is a 30V engine and in terms of a long distance cruiser they are Sublime. Good for parts and to work on too.
In terms of power to pass, they are adequate so long as you don't want to pass in silly places. But as mentioned, that minor shortcoming is well and truly made up for by the rest of the car.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 22, 5:44am
They are! And they are potentially a LOT of car for the coin.

I am always just a little reluctant to recommend them as if someone not "savvy" bought one with out checking it well first or they expected just to walk into the main dealer and get cheap parts they could come unstuck.

But, yes so long as you know how to negate the shortcomings an amazing car for very little money.

Personally I am more than happy to order my parts a couple of weeks ahead when the major service rolls around in return for that much bang for buck.

Hang,you could even be really paranoid and get your WOF 2 weeks ahead in case you needed anything substantial, but that's probably unnecessary.

carkitter, Jan 22, 6:32am
Jazz, whats the potential problems of an Audi A4 2.4L V6 Quattro auto 2000 vintage! Will be inspecting one soon.

debulebule, Jan 22, 9:07pm
Some decent options there. Always a car load of 5 people on long distances. The audi a6's are quite nice. Anyone know how the 2.0T Volvo engine performs!

thejazzpianoma, Jan 22, 9:43pm
Very few specific to the car in my experience. No doubt getting to the air conditioning valves might be a mission like it is on a Passat so check the air con goes properly. I would suggest you use it regularly once you own one too.

Check everything works, make sure that the transmission oil is a nice colour and the transmission is smooth. Really just take plenty of time over it, they are a sophisticated vehicle but a reliable sophisticated vehicle.

Service records would be nice and put aside a minimum of $1200 + GST for a replacement cambelt/waterpump/tensioner/th-
ermostat service if it is due. These are the ones that are fairly nice to do yourself though if you are patient and take your time.

Vag.central might have more clues. My experience has been all good with them so can't comment further really. Only real issue of note that I have come accross is the old plastic impellar waterpump problems (as seen in another thread at the moment) but those should be well swapped out by now and I would be cautious of one that hasn't as its likely been neglected.

BTW, if the 2.4 is a little sedate for you the 2.8 and 3.0 have a bit more umph yet are still good on gas. The 2.4 is still adequate though, it just dissapoints a few who are expecting it to be a real rocket ship because of the badge on the front.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 22, 9:47pm
The 2.0T Volvo is usually about 120KW so not too bad. I would be more concerned about what model you are looking at with that engine. It was very popular in ex-singaporian S80's and the like which might not be the most economical machine to own if you have problems.

That said the V40's had the 2.0T and are very reliable.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 22, 9:49pm
BTW, given you are travelling with 5 people the A6 might well be the pick of the bunch. Plenty of room and comfort in one of those.