Ebay purchases anyone !

Page 1 / 2
kecal, Jan 16, 6:58am
I need to buy a couple of parts for my rm125 bike .has anyone brought of ebay, parts are in the states,good or bad experience! pitfalls!cheers mike

sw20, Jan 16, 7:01am
eBay is really, really good.

IMO safer than Trade Me when you pay via Paypal. Just get a shipping quote for the parts. If the seller won't sell outside the US, there are 3rd party companies that give you a "US address" and then on send product to you for a fee.

granada, Jan 16, 7:02am
Yep, I recently brought some parts from Qld, guess they are sitting in a post box three metres under water as I havnt seen them yet.

kecal, Jan 16, 7:05am
and how do i find this third part! is this an option once you register!

tatts2, Jan 16, 7:15am
Dont worry about it. I have brought loads of parts for different bikes with no problems its just the postage which can be a killer.

chris_051, Jan 16, 7:16am
do you have a link to this 3rd party!
Have bought parts off ebay.com.au and .co.uk, all easy deals and parts are so much cheaper than here (genuine Ford O2 sensor for Falcon AUD 80 delivered as opposed to NZ rrp of $280). Just make sure you know what the costs of shipping are as some of the big stuff is quite expensive. Flatmate bought some extended shocks for his Cherokee off ebay.com and it was USD 220 in shipping alone from memory, it is still cheaper than buying them here tho.
If only ebay could tap into the NZ market and take away some of this monopoly.

berg, Jan 16, 7:17am
Buy stuff off Ebay for bikes all the tim. Have even had stuff land in less than 5 days

kecal, Jan 16, 7:18am
crazy. i can buy the parts here for $1300 or send over to the other side of the world for about $500.go figure that one.

rotormotor7, Jan 16, 7:35am
yeep,just ask if sellers will ship to NZ as sometimes they only put US shipping prices in their auctions

check out their feedback and definatly ask about total shipping costs.that right there isthe killer of some of my 'wishlist' items LOL

electro2000, Jan 16, 7:39am
Ive brought a bit off ebay mainly used test gear for work out of the states normally pay between 10-20 k US no issuesHave also been buying a few Holden parts out of aus no dramagot some bits coming over at presentset your self up a pay pal account and pay with your credit card via pay pal

zephyrheaven, Jan 16, 8:40am
i need a few bits for my RM too - could do a bulk buy & save on postage!

fordguy17, Jan 16, 8:43am
I buy a lot of stuff off eBay. Pretty much weekly. It's great, I'm addicted. You just have to make sure they have good feedback, and most will ship here even if it says they won't, you just have to ask them. Also, try not to get ripped off on postage costs, after a while you will work out what costs what and can actually bust a lot of sellers who quickly change the price. Paypal is really handy too as it's simple, fast and gives you a guarantee that if the item doesn't arrive, and the seller can't prove it didn't, you get your money back.

fordguy17, Jan 16, 8:48am
I wish they could tap in here too. Although it's easy enough just importing.

An intake gasket from Ford NZ was $nz70, so i got THREE from an eBay store for $nz45 delivered. Genuine Ford too.

I got a set of new Ford Racing injectors yesterday from an eBay store for $nz270 delivered, price in an NZ shop was over $700.

I buy EVERYTHING from eBay, no joke. I even get my CoffeeMate coffee flavourings from there too lol.

unideck, Jan 16, 8:49am
James, if you have no account just email me, can use mine if you like ;)

As above, ask the seller if they will ship to NZ, never had anyone say no to me even when they state no overseas shipping. NZ has a good honest reputation as a country and lets face it all they can do is say no. 99% of all the parts I buy come from eBay as generally they are at least 70% cheaper from the US. The UK is a bit of a pain as the freight is sky high but again, ask the question first ;)

trogedon, Jan 16, 10:01am
Excellent experiences generally. I brought a frame for my SR500 last year with no trouble. I use it / them all the time (pun intended).

kecal, Jan 16, 10:24am
Iam going to give it a shot just sent the seller a price for shippingso well se how it ends up. going by the comments i cant do bad at all thanks.

whqqsh, Jan 16, 10:37am
no probs with ebay & parts come over quicker than you think, rule of thumb I use is double the amount in kiwi dollars & thatll cover exchange rate & shipping

jazzyjack1, Jan 16, 10:54am
Keep in mind also NZ customs will sting you for anything valued $400 or more (higher the value, higher the tax) - get the shipper/seller to note the value of goods as $150USD / gift etc and Customs will let it slide

foxdonut, Jan 16, 1:26pm
It was here before Trademe and no one wanted to use it "because it was American" and they were scared of the Internet.

Ebay's only fault is its typical american style crap UI (user interface) which is overly complicated and hard to navigate.

Trademe worked because it was local, but also because it was very basic. Unfortunately for TM they're not going to be able to add modern incremental navigation and experience changes to the layout because of the foundation they started with, but its what people wanted.

Remember also that its the product that makes the auction site. If there was an "ebay.co.nz" it'd simply be filled with all the same stuff you would buy on trademe listed by the same sellers.

townie55, Jan 16, 5:16pm
One more thng. unlike TM, Ebay's auctions do not auto-extend.There is a set time for the auction to finish.Because of this I normally don't put a bid in until at the very end of the auction.It negates the chance of a bidding war with another buyer.

I've had two bad experiences on Ebay.One was for a set of Shelby GT500 wheels that never turned up, and the other was for an item I got dirt cheap so they ramped up their shipping charge to what we had already agreed.This seller was later banned off EBay for numerous similar transactions.

I have a legit US address in California where a friend will receive and store all purchases.If I'm buying a car, I try to look around his area so he can check the car out if required.It pays to have big ticket items viewed prior to purchase IMHO.

c_h_l, Jan 17, 12:26am
We have purchased off Ebay a fair bit for parts that aren't found in NZ and never had a problem, very easy to use.

eke690, Jan 17, 2:41am
+1 takes a bit of understanding to navigate but sooo much more options compared to Tm.

rotormotor7, Jan 22, 7:39pm
some sellers mention that they wont do such a thing in their listings.

i think the problem is,if they have insurance and is damaged or missing or whatever and the price is undervalued on the customs label,thats what insurance will pay out on!

meadow_man, Jan 22, 9:12pm
I have had that happen, but most of the stuff I buy is under $400 so no prob. You need to keep in mind that forums like these are where greedy retailers will get their arguments when asking the Govt to increase duty and taxes on these types of imports, this is already being looked into, they don't like it because people are going elsewhere because it's cheaper, niiice huh!

kecal, Jan 21, 5:11pm
considering new parts cost in nz $1300 and i couldnt findused here , aussie 2nd hand cost over $400 I opted to buy from the states total cost in nz dollars 360 this included shipping. well see what happens with customs but iam more than happy to pay a little bit more if i have to . placed order last monday so see how long it takes.