Automotive painting with Acrylic Laquer

meadow_man, Jan 22, 9:18pm
I have been painting (amateur) with lacquer for many years and have a question for the pro's.
Can anyone tell me what the procedure should be when rubbing back a surface and in small parts the metal surface shows through! is it necessary to undercoat the whole surface before top coating! Also when you have a surface undercoated and you are rubbing / sanding it smooth and the same thing happens, do you need to undercoat any very small area's where the metal is showing through!
I find this happens a lot on edges and sharp bends.
This is all pretty basic stuff to the experts no doubt, but is something I have wondered about. Any help appreciated, thanks.

meadow_man, Jan 22, 9:30pm
Usually 320

meadow_man, Jan 22, 9:39pm
I only sand dry on undercoat, after the first few top coats I wet sand (usually I don't have the sand through problem at this stage). I usually have the problem when sanding the undercoat.
I have some 600 grit, and may give that a try. Thanks.

meadow_man, Jan 22, 9:41pm
Any suggestions for a good gravity fed top coating gun!

meadow_man, Jan 22, 10:57pm
Thanks, I think about $500 will be me lol, I wouldn't buy a gun off Supercheap, at the moment I am using a Devilbiss D 581, it's been okay and the finishes have been okay, but I have been wondering if I get a better gun am I going to get a better job and cut back the time involved. Whichever, I am ready to replace it. Thanks a lot for the advice :0)

gunhand, Jan 23, 4:51am
Ive got a devilbiss i used for years for top coating and now use it for primer and other things and use a iwata for the good jobs now. Yes you should be able to bet a good gun for $500.
as for your cutting through problem these days you can get wet on wet single pack primers made for modern basecoats to use on small to medium areas. so you have a gun with it in all the time and just squirt on 10 mins before basecoat and bobs your uncle. no worring about those sand throughs. Although not useing it correctly can create more problems so use it as per instruction.

neville48, Jan 23, 11:12am
as the man says use a finer grit paper and sand yur primer wet but also double spray the edges and ridges to give you a bit of a lead in/relief on sanding those areas. if you are just an amateur spraying then stick with the lacquers for finish. you get a chance to fix naff-ups more easily and even a lot of the proffesionals cannot use the base coat/clearcoat systems properly as you can see by the amount of peeling paintjobs you see around the place; I am a total amateur but have done enuff to add my "ten bobs worth"