Focus or Vectra 2003

Page 1 / 2
meleh, Nov 28, 11:08pm
Looking at either Ford Focus or Holden Vectra both 2003 for a run about car. Any suggestions on which one in reliability ect

mugenb20b, Nov 28, 11:14pm
Mazda 3.

twink19, Nov 29, 4:20am
Focus over a Vectra, must be some thing better out there for your $

moosie_21, Nov 29, 4:28am
Focus, don't even need any more info!

wasser61, Nov 29, 6:04am
Focus.

fordcrzy, Nov 29, 6:20am
focus

alan1111, Nov 29, 6:23am
Neither both are crap cars stay away from euro trash in my opinion. Big bills if something goes wrong expect $1000 cambelt bill when need changing.

rovercitroen, Nov 29, 6:34am
If reliability is important to you buy a Corolla or a Mazda 3 or Astina.

wasser61, Nov 29, 6:44am
And you have proof! Or did a friend of a friend tell you this!
The wife's 2004 Focus cam belt was only $460.

tigra, Nov 29, 6:58am
I never judge by one case butfor two I start to think. The only two people I know who have a Focus have both got rid of themwithina year of purchase. Both bought new and had several problems.Interestingly both bought Mazdas.

kazbanz, Nov 29, 7:04am
holden vectra is opel vectra. A bit of a bag o worms that one.-In my experience they have electrical issues and air con issues regularly
The Focus in my experience feels um "flimsy"I can't say why but they just don't feel solid on the road. .

mugenb20b, Nov 29, 7:31am
Somebody else's wife's Mazda 3 doesn't have a cambelt.

paul271, Nov 29, 7:34am
Both of them are lemons. We have customers at work with them and they all regret buying them, lots goes wrong with both models. Get a Honda or toyota if you want a reliable car.

zetec, Nov 29, 7:57am
just for a counter-view, as a 2004 Focus owner, very reliable and solid on the road, the cambelt was expensive to change, but the interval is 10 years or 150k so kind of balances out. BTW Vectra and Focus are in different size class, Astra is Focus equivalent.

franc123, Nov 29, 9:27am
Yes, a point often overlooked, this interval is more than double that of the belt driven Vectras!The Focus has always given the impression to me of being well built and has excellent roadholding, the chassis was an award winner in this area from day one so I don't know where the above "flimsy" comments come from.The same could not be said for some similar sized JDM crap like Nissan Lucinos for example that still use a dead beam axle in the rear!

horsepower7, Nov 29, 9:31am
i was driving a focus for a couple days, really enjoyed it, to my surprize haha!

alan1111, Nov 29, 5:03pm
Do i have proof done about 4 of them now dickhead. And i suposse all they did was just the cambelt. What about the seals, tensioners,waterpump,drive beltscoolant etc or the shim that is meant to be replace behind the lower crank pulley.If you dont know the Focus does not have keyways to line the gears up.You have to have special tools.If you dont know what you talking about dont leave a comment.Oh and if you are doing a cambelt at 100k well the spark plugs also need changing so you do those at same time.And if you try and buy a aftermarket shim good luck cause not avaialable only genuine and not cheap.

kazbanz, Nov 29, 5:11pm
I did say "in my experience" -Ie refering to the cars I have personally driven.Compared to other prodoct of the same age on the road.
Maybee because they have been little old lady cars with the factory skinny wheels fitted

stevo2, Nov 29, 5:18pm
Yes it is true the focus won motoring aclaim for its handling and roadholding . It shares its floorpan and other parts with Mazda3.

sifty, Nov 29, 6:48pm
oooOOOOooohhh.

kazbanz, Nov 29, 7:28pm
OHH POOOO.Sorry OP and guys. A mild case of fuzzy brain
Please Ignore ALL comments from me about the ford FOCUS.
For some inane reason I had the Focus mixed up in my head with the Fiesta.
Apologies for the error

sifty, Nov 29, 7:38pm
Have quite enjoyed the Focus rental cars I've had over the last few years.

richard198, Nov 29, 8:18pm
Avoid the Vectra! Ughh!

cocabowla, Nov 29, 9:23pm
brothers 01 vectra develops one fault after another

3tomany, Nov 29, 9:26pm
focus no question