Stupid Bloody E30 trans mounts BE H8tin'

mellisa2000, Dec 1, 11:05am
NOW on the second set of NEW mounts after these horrible little things pulled the studs out of the mounts. Top stud on one, lower stud on other. Now, the stud broke off, by pulling the little stud square out of the top and bottom plates Both with very little tension on them, I had not cranked the bejezus out of them either. Any one had similar issues with these critters!
Mount pics here:
http://www.mountshop.co.nz/shopdisplayitem.asp!category=4&master_group=8&item=04B013
Caused me a lot of grief, and extra time etc. GRRR!
Fish.

skin1235, Dec 1, 7:06pm
never come across them but would ask why does it have that much travel in such a small mount - is there a limiting or absorbing arm/system missing somewhere else
A mount of that size and design would not normally be asked to handle the force it has taken to rip it apart like you describe

panicky, Dec 1, 7:17pm
check your other mounts, jack the engine up

rsr72, Dec 1, 9:17pm
.and check the two anti-rock engine mount shock-absorber struts.

shane038, Dec 2, 2:43am
Maybe misalignment somewhere! Sounds like the mounts are under tension when all is done up.

mellisa2000, Dec 2, 10:32am
One might wonder, the mounts are only about, say, 45mmx35mm across the face. The upper and lower distance (between top and bottom plates) is about 35mm.Eff all. Not impressed. The tension on the stud nuts was only (A soft) a ring spanner tight, all dimensions line up etc.
POS!
Fish.

monzaman, Apr 24, 6:45pm
I've never seen those break studs off only occasionally break through the rubber,that mount in link is aftermarket-not BMW part no,I used to overhaul quite a few of those ZF trans and replace dr/shaft couplings.I just noticed from partmaster-last place I'd go.