Chev camshafts

Page 2 / 2
plasticboys, Dec 3, 6:36am
l will have a look in the cam book at my dads he has lots of grinds for all sorts. get back to you on it. you can stellite the lobs up or may have new cams there

the-lada-dude, Dec 3, 7:01am
ah ha ! fair enough ! doubt if you'll have enough meat to r/g cam. check through some old hot rod mags, quite often they do storeys on project motors.these fellas usually try all sorts and do dyno pulls. often they may try 1/2 doz cams etc. this will give you a bloody good idea of where your heading.

plasticboys, Dec 3, 9:19am
is it a big block engine!

happylad3, Dec 3, 10:48am
Going by being a 355, I'm assuming it's either a stroked 308/304 Holden or a 350 Chevy with o/s pistons.

pollymay, Dec 3, 11:48am
Many modern oils can create issues in older engines, it mostly because anti wear additives of old have detrimental effects on modern emissions equipment. Even the old 304 holdens suffer a bit from flat cams and not even at massive miles or age.

mk3zephyr, Dec 3, 6:39pm
yip 350 with o/s slugs.

plasticboys, Dec 3, 6:50pm
another thing .is it a roller rocker camshaft!

the-lada-dude, Dec 3, 7:40pm
it all comes down to how much you wana spend
whats ya valve sizes !2.02 /1.61 !

mk3zephyr, Dec 3, 7:49pm
No just a Standard Hydraulic Cam, we arnt allowed to run roller rockers, All these rules to keep costs down and more affordable for guys to race unlike their super saloon cousins. New block is off to the reconditioners to get a hone and a good wash out before the assembly starts

wellabolla, Dec 3, 8:10pm
I tend to disagree with you a little.yes the oils today are rubbish.and Sure if the motor is High mileage things have "worn" naturally.but if the cam is run in correctly from the start.a cam should last until something goes wrong.I.E oil starvation or a bearing failure which is then fixed but the oil galleries not cleaned properly.all it take is a small chunk to take the hardening off the cam to start it wearing.Only once have i seen a "round cam" from high mileage.the rest of the engine was absolutely buggered also

pollymay, Dec 3, 9:19pm
Cheap oil filters with rubbish drainback valves can "starve" the engine every startup. Fram filters are terrible for it, it really knocks the bottom ends around to.

74nova, Dec 3, 9:20pm
I tend to disagree with you a little.yes the oils today are rubbish.And I would NEVER run my engine with out any ZDDP additive, Theres too much money tied up in it to take the risk.

plasticboys, Dec 3, 10:25pm
so how meany lobs need a build up or are they all worn of!

mk3zephyr, Dec 3, 11:20pm
One lobe has the "tit" worn off it and one is quite worn, so 2 lobes by the look of it, I'll post a photo later tonight when i get home if you like

1fordluva, Dec 4, 12:02am
just get a blank ground up for it,cheap enough.
74nova is right on the money with his post number 11.
If it cant breathe,the camshaft is irrelevent really,weather it is standard or big separation with 6 or 700 or more lift.
you dont have to change it to much,you will see the power shift from one part of the rev range to another.
Do some ringing around,to see what combo,s are proven and work.
Maybe modify slightly to suit your combo.
good luck zeph.

petermcg, Dec 4, 4:57am
Dont grind one, buy one already made, make sure you use new lifters with it, get 450 lift and 288 duration for your engine, and then play around with the intake size of carb and spacers under the carb etc will drastically alter the performance of the engine. spacer for top end 600 cfm ,, high vacuum signal and good for tourque and 850 for top end,, and dont forget when your motor is doing 6500 rpm your alternator is spinning at around 1300 rpm, so consider all those pulley sizes now.

petermcg, Dec 4, 8:43am
I think I meant to say 13000rpm.

mk3zephyr, Dec 17, 9:27am
Got given a Crane cam, part number 967601 (cr760) but according to the website its a mechanical cam and a lumpy one at that, What would you suggest, go with the mechanical or stick with the hydraulic!, All the hydraulic lifters are shot so need to be replaced anyway, heads already had beefed up springs, havnt run a mechanical so not sure what to do here, though i would be saving a quid or two if i did run the mechanical, Any pro's and con's to this !