Trogedon

Page 1 / 2
friendly_prawn, Dec 2, 6:49am
having a few issues with that bike.on the three gear set of sprokets, it wont change in to low and in top keeps making a rubbing sound almost like the sproket is bent.

Haven't had a chance to have a good look at it yet. Hoping to sort it on the weekend. Just after a quick heads up. Are they as I suspect, usually a simple fix!

trogedon, Dec 2, 7:40am
The sprocket (we like to call them chainrings!) may be a bit bent (straightenable) and causing the chain to rub inside the derailleur (gear shifter) at times. The not going into the smallest chainring should just be an adjustment issue (there are two adjusting screws on the derailleur). A bike shop guy should be able to sort it out in 5 mins. Clark at Avanti plus in Albany is excellent.

friendly_prawn, Dec 2, 9:09am
thank you Trog. much appreciated. might have a play and see if I can sort it myself since it looks like such a simple fix. If Im too dumb to sort, it I'll take it to clark and tell him you sent me. thanks for the advice mate.

specialk11, Dec 2, 7:04pm
The rubbing in the big chainring could also be the 1 piece crank flexing, Are you a big prawn!

friendly_prawn, Dec 2, 7:42pm
182cm's and 113kg.

skin1235, Dec 2, 7:49pm
get the change adjustment right first, the rubbing could well be the derailier positioned wrong and too close to the chain ( still trying to make the change or travelled too far past the last change
handy to make a small stand that fits over the rear axle stubs and holds the tyre off the ground - holds the bike upright so you can hand pedal it etc
couple of bits of 150X25 as uprights with a crude V in the top or a steelframe with small bits of pipe to fit over the axle stubs - your workshops skills will dictate the method
whatever you use, the change mechanism must be functioning correctly, and as said I suspect the rubbing is due to it not doing that at present

friendly_prawn, Dec 2, 8:04pm
Not sure if i can explain this properly, but the rubbing soundisn't constant but it is regularly timed.That would surely mean something isnt true!
Wouldnt the above comment mean the big cog has a slight bend and when ever it does a complete circle where its bent, it rubs!

skin1235, Dec 2, 8:09pm
the chainrail may well have a small wobble in it, not uncommon, can be straightened with a light whack, but if the rubbing is from that reason what is it rubbing against - and I'd say from experience it is rubbing on the chain guide, which is part of the dereailier system - adjust that properly first and the problem will often go away

skin1235, Dec 2, 8:12pm
the front guide is about 10mm wide, and the chain is about 8 mm wide, you have less than 2mm of wobble before it touches, 1 mm each side, small block of wood and a hammer will straighten the chainring
couple that with the difficulty accessing all the chainrings and you have a misadjustment - honestly, concentrate on fixing that first

friendly_prawn, Dec 2, 8:19pm
will heed you advice.Will repost after I have had a play and will let you know what happens. cheers for the help.

skin1235, Dec 2, 8:31pm
late thought - memory returns - check the mount strap on the front derialier, the one that straps the whole thing to the frame, if that has moved it would account for lack of change onto that other chainring
, and they do get bumped and can move ever so slightly, stuffs up the whole front chain change
from memory it is the only time in my life I've had a use for a 9mm spanner
7 kids and now 21 g/kids, seen a few pushbikesleaning against the front yard in need of adjustments

friendly_prawn, Dec 3, 11:54pm
bumpety bump. :-)

skin1235, Dec 4, 12:07am
I'd be looking for a new or another front set complete
it will fall apart, at the most inconvenient moment, in front of a couple of busloads of tourists with cameras poised at a major intersection,, and jam the front sprocket

trogedon, Dec 4, 1:25am
f_p as long as you get the adjustment sorted so you and use the smallest (and middle) chainring then you should be fine for conquering the hill you're wanting to ride.

friendly_prawn, Dec 4, 2:21am
haha, already done the hill.much easier than I thought.
Going to have to expand my ride drastically I think. :-)

friendly_prawn, Dec 4, 2:22am
So just swap it out for a whole new set! Any idea of what it would cost new, or can it be bought second hand. Just off for a search of trademe.

trogedon, Dec 4, 3:31am
You're welcome to bring it over and I'll give it a tweak. See my classified listing for my phone number.

friendly_prawn, Dec 4, 3:45am
appreciate that. i still have your email addy anyway.
My main problem at the moment is sorting out which part I need to buy to replace the DERAILEUR. Once I have that sorted, it should just be a simple matter of swapping them out and adjusting it. If i get stuck from there, I'll definitely take you up on your offer.Finding the time to get over there, well that's another story. lol

Hey cheers Trog, your a legend mate.

skin1235, Dec 4, 5:11am
any 12, 15, 18 + speed, they all use a triple front chainrail - thats the crucial bit, it has to be able to move the chain across 3 rails, a twin rail may not have enough movement

under normal riding the front doesn't get a lot of stress but for a new chum to riding I'd fix it, the comment re potential to use only two is valid, in my experience they are well capable of dropping the chain off both sides and there are adjustable stops to prevent this - take another look, it may be possible to extend the travel to accommodate, this will mean the top lever will move past the marks but they never line up anyway

skin1235, Dec 4, 5:13am
and yes the auction you linked to will fit, it is adjustable for twin and triple rail systems

I think the frenzy was a 15 speed, but count the sprockets at the back, if 5 then it is 15, if 6 it is 18

friendly_prawn, Dec 4, 7:59am
cheers skin1235.much appreciated. will repost to let you guys know how I get on with it. thanks very much for all your guys help. really appreciated.

trogedon, Dec 4, 9:11am
**Grr Trudme *I got a warning for the above post. It wasn't even a links just an offer of help.

friendly_prawn, Dec 4, 9:28am
just flicked you an email.

skin1235, Dec 4, 7:50pm
yea gods trogy, who did you upset sufficient to get them to complain, I often make offers no different, all you said was bring it round and I'll take a look
or did you suggest a bike shop by name and some opposition shop got the pricker up

skin1235, May 2, 3:47am
this is very common, it often takes a little more movement to complete the change then back it off a little ( on a new bike with very conscious rider it is all perfect - then give that bike to a teenager and show him a few rough tracks, within minutes it is a completely different bike with rattles and mal adjusted bits all over it, brakes that won't work, bolts that mysteriously come loose, dérailleurs ( I finally got sick of derailiers coming up as a spelling mistake so checked and substituted the correct spelling)that won't work etc lol)