Prado boost

ashy8, Dec 2, 7:43am
I've got a 96 1kz prado. It's sitting at approx 7psi while cruising at 100 on the flat and at 5psi doing 50. I thought while cruising you shouldn't be boosting, is this not always the case! Cheers

irule, Dec 2, 7:53am
My terrano 2.7 diesel does about that, max boost is 9.5psi if you sneak up on it.

mantagsi, Dec 2, 8:18am
I am probably going off a bit half arsed here but with no throttle plate in a diesel it will be passing a fair bit of air through at highway speeds, so I imagine it would be normal to have the turbo spun up and boosting

mugenb20b, Dec 2, 9:32am
It can do, it all depends on how much throttle you're applying and/or how much weight you carry/tow and what gear you're in. It can also depend on how dirty your air filter is.

studio1, Dec 3, 12:34am
Boost will start coming on from quite a low rev range, but down there isn't a lot of use as the pressure is quite low. Around 50 km/h you are probably running in the region of 2500 rpm in 4th so 5 PSI boost is not uncommon. Remember that the turbo is increasing efficiency, so the same motor without one pushing your vehicle at the same speed would probably require revs much higher.
With my 2 litre diesel 5 spd manual I can hear the turbo whistle and starting to wind up when I am just cruising along slowly or taking off in 1st gear at low revs.

ashy8, Dec 3, 4:05am
Sweet I wasn't to worried, just supprised that it was always on boost. It's cleared that up anyway, cheers.

r15, Apr 27, 6:01pm
it should boost up to around 13psi though under acceleration.