STUCK RINGS

luxy, Dec 3, 2:23am
I have a old small 4 cylinder motor that has not been on the road since 2005
Runs well but I sense that the rings are a gummed up. Can anyone recommend a product to do the trick. looked in at repco today but they dont seem to have anything
Cheers

mrfxit, Dec 3, 3:56am
Diesel fuel down the cylinders to soak for a few minutes at a time between short runs
Or
Gently poured down the carby/ air pipe while running at & holding at about half revs

kazbanz, Dec 3, 4:15am
I'd be tempted to "fill er up' with dieseland leave it for a while. Like a few days.basicly so the pistons/rings are sitting in a pool of diesel and it can soak into the ring lands for the oil rings
Drain it out and refill with normal oil.

crzyhrse, Dec 3, 5:23am
Sense! Not really a definitive diagnosis.

crzyhrse, Dec 3, 5:26am
Oh, and I wouldn't be putting diesel anywhere near the bores of anything that has a wet clutch which is possible because the OP makes absolutely no mention of the type of engine. but being small and 4 cylinder it could well be a japanese bike motor - old is entirely subjective.

planted4u, Dec 3, 5:46am
What has a wet clutch got to do with diesel down the bore!

doug207, Dec 3, 5:49am
Wet clutch generally runs off the engine oil on Jap bike motors

a.woodrow, Dec 3, 5:51am
good point actually - we all 'assumed' car lol

net_oz, Dec 3, 7:40am
A japanese motor wouldn't end up like that. Probably some pommy piece of crap.

cuda.340, Dec 3, 8:03am
pull it apart & fix it properly. stop being a titeass.

kazbanz, Dec 3, 9:03am
good point--I assumed it was "just " the engine

luxy, Dec 3, 10:06am
to put all your minds at rest, it is Austin 7, and yes I sense thats the problem but I will test it with a comp guage. Although if the comps are low it really will not tell me if the rings are just stuck inwill it
cheers

saxman99, Dec 3, 10:30am
It's not 'gummed up' as such, it's just that it's only 7 horse ! ;-)

thejazzpianoma, Dec 3, 10:40am
Good news there is its at least very easy to strip and sort if need be.
I would be tempted to try some "kroil" rather than the Diesel. Can't say I have tried it for this purpose but I would have more faith in it than Diesel for this purpose. You will also need less of it to be effective.

Now that said, Kroil is fairly expensive. Personally I would whip the head off and run it around the edge of the pistons but it should still spread itself well if you just pour some in the plug holes. I would do a combination of letting it sit a while and then turning it over repeating the process etc.

mikebumz, Dec 3, 7:33pm
Cleaned up gummed-up rings on 2 old diesel engines (sitting under bench for yearssss) with a 50/50 mix of Diesel & Handy Andy (ammonia), left it sitting in the cylinder for a week, turning the engine every-day by hand.

the-lada-dude, Dec 3, 8:18pm
good ol side valve, you'll wana check those valves try the ol heavy wt oil down the plug hole trick ! then com test , this will tell you where that air is going !

msigg, Dec 3, 9:24pm
net_oz is correct.

pettal, Dec 3, 10:07pm
CRC/WD40 down the plug holes while turning it over, then a mixture of 2-stroke in the gas tank and let it run for awhilevarying the revs etc .

afer_daily, Dec 4, 12:18am
i find thata good dose of epsom salts works when my ring is stuck

bill-robinson, Dec 4, 1:53am
If this is a side valve just undo the bolts holding the crankcase and block together and lift the block off the pistons.Clean and fettle what ever you want then reassemble. Easy. And I have not touched one for. I cant count that highBill.
PS should take about 2 hours max.

safe111, May 6, 9:58am
Piece of cake to sort this.
1 Take tappet cover off and check that each valve will close.
2 Check clearances - inlet 006, ex 008
3 Run engine
4 Compression test. Anything over 90 psi is fine for that engine
5 If it isn't burning oil leave it alone and make sure the brakes are not dragging. Just use it and worry about something else.like how to get the stiletto marks off the headlining of the other car.
6 Alternatively if her rings really are stuck use bolt cutters to get them off her finger.