Do BOVs need certification!

mr_mista, Dec 4, 9:24pm
A mate has put one in my 01 Legnum, taking the vehicle in for a WOF in the next few days so was wondering if it needs a cert!

danni_2254, Dec 4, 9:33pm
No. Just cant have an external wastegate

morrisman1, Dec 4, 10:33pm
vented to atmosphere is what the regulation is I think. No reason not to have an external wastegate but not allowed a screamer pipe

twink19, Dec 5, 12:03am
must be plumbed in. cannot vent to atmosphere

loose.unit8, Dec 5, 12:34am
To my knowledge this is not correct - it is still only a proposal. Feel free to link to prove me otherwise though.

But to answer #1s question, no a Blow off Valve does not and has never needed a cert

steve312, Dec 5, 1:02am
Your knowledge is not correct.

Try page 11-1-2, general vehicle; note 6 of the VIRM (version 4, amendment 3).
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/virm-in-service-certification/docs/gen-11-exhaust-v4a2.pdf

Note 6 Externally venting wastegates (screamer pipes) are not permitted as they are not adequately muffled and the exhaust
gases passing through the wastegate are not directed through the vehicle??

phillip.weston, Dec 5, 1:26am
A blow off valve is not a waste gate.

hijacka, Dec 5, 1:27am
What has that got to do with a Blow off valve!

hijacka, Dec 5, 1:33am
Bet me to it PW! Just quick note that I re regd a vehicle about 2months ago and it passed with a GFB hybrid BOV fully venting. so unless the law has change in the passed 2months then id say its legal, but then again aren't new laws written everyday!

steve312, Dec 5, 1:46am
Just clarifying post # 3 on.I am fully aware that a BOV is not a wastegate.

loose.unit8, Dec 5, 3:07am
Why are people even talking about wastegates!I certainly wasn't in my post

gj0502, Dec 5, 4:04am
Bovs are fine vented or recirculating, external waste gates are fine as long as they are plumbed back into the exhaust.

steve312, May 3, 5:08pm
My apologies.Thought you were responding to the earlier post regarding wastegate venting.Obviously not.

Bugger.Thats the second time I have been wrong ;o)