Simple speaker system under $200

boss0301, Jan 30, 7:17am
Hi,

I just bought a second hand car. it has a good head unit, but only one crappy speaker on the right side.

I want to have a decent sound (preferably 4 speakers) but don't want to spend more than $200

I'm assuming amp & sub is out of the question.

Can I get a good speaker sound setup for around/under $200! (already got head unit)
Would a simple 4 speaker system suffice! and what are the cheapies like (warehouse brands etc) or do I really need an amp & sub get a quality sound!

cheers

cuda.340, Jan 30, 7:23am
buy 2 sets of Sony component speakers. it's as good a Bass you'll get without forking out for a Sub & Amp.

tuttyclan, Jan 30, 8:58am
Home stereo speakers work well

richms, Jan 30, 9:19am
Yup, some off a crap mini system up on the parcel shelf. Dont get a matching pair as that will ruin it.

Also dont worry that they will smack you in the back of the head if you stop quickly, thats just a minor thing.

clark20, Jan 30, 9:21am

carkitter, Jan 30, 10:31am
In general, a half decent set of components cost about $160 not leaving much for rear speakers. I would get a good pair of the largest speakers that will fit in the front (5"/5.5"/6") and a good pair of 6x9's for the rear. I would also leave about $30ish spare for some large speaker cable from Jaycar as the standard OEM speaker wiring in most cars is absolute rubbish.

mr_lovebug, Jan 30, 10:40am
I have told a mate to fit 6" 3ways in the front & 6" 2ways inthe rear of his car.Sounds good & was cheap.

He got the speakers from supercheap auto.

If you can get some components they will give a much nicer sound,have those in the front & use a pair 6x9s in the rear. No need to amp them.

Personally i have a pair of 4" in the front of my car & 6x9s in the rear. Thats ALL my car can fit.

carkitter, Jan 30, 10:44am
Not too bad.
4 way is impressive, but paper cones for mid-range! Hmmm.
Also 102mm deep is quite a lot. I hope the OP has plenty of room free to fit those.

mr_lovebug, Jan 30, 10:47am
Thats common with 6x9s.

Also they are best suited for rear parcel trays with spacers etc.

carkitter, Jan 30, 10:53am
My car has 4" in the bottom of the dash, I may be able to squeeze 5" in there but my plan is to make a custom enclosure for a 6" speaker in the bottom of the doors. It'll mean reshaping the door pockets and might require some parts from a wrecker but the final result will be worth it. I want it to look as OEM as possible.

jono2912, Jan 30, 10:56am
Hey, what car you have! May have a template for you.

next1eve11, Feb 20, 3:09am
6" front speakers or whatever fits, and two 6 x 9z, kenwood, sony, pioneer etc. Then a lil later on can add a sub n amp, quite a bit of 12" pioneers going cheap on here, cheap but good set up.